April 19, 2024, 09:56:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trends in periodic table (Atomic Size)  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Xylene

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Trends in periodic table (Atomic Size)
« on: May 18, 2012, 07:15:02 AM »
I have heard that, In general as we go across the period in the periodic table,the nuclear charge increases so attraction between the nucleus and the outermost electrons increases and the atomic size goes on decreasing, but my doubt is as protons are added, electrons are also added and the atom has same number of protons as the electrons so the size of all the elements should be same.

THANKS

Offline ramboacid

• Mole Snacks: +19/-3
  • USNCO High Honors 2012, 2013
Re: Trends in periodic table (Atomic Size)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:49:32 AM »
Remember that there are shielding effects though that protect electrons in the valence layer. Thus, the electrons in elements at the beginning of a period are farther away from the nucleus. As the nuclear charge grows, new electrons are added to the same layer, and thus the attraction increases because the charge grows but the distance is between the electrons and the nucleus is constant. This causes the atomic radius to decrease across a period.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Xylene

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »
so is it like when electrons are added to the same shell and when the nuclear charge increases, the attraction between them increases?
I dont understand how the attraction increases as the electron is added,infact it should remain the same  ???

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »
Do you know how the attractive force between two particles is related to their charge and to the distance between them?

Sponsored Links