April 29, 2024, 10:29:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: High school grad interested in pharmaceutical industry - advice?  (Read 4610 times)

Offline marth

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'm trying to plan out my academic life for the next few years. I'm going to a T25 university next year with a good reputation in science. I'm going to major in chemistry and minor in biology since my university does not offer an undergraduate degree named "biochemistry" or one named "chemical biology." My academic plan for college chemistry work is: take the "honors" accelerated chemistry track so I can take all the advanced courses in organic chemistry, synthetic chemistry, and biochemistry that I can in junior/senior years. Get a good GPA (obviously). Do research (in one of molecular biology, biochemistry, chemical biology, organic chemistry, etc.) my freshman/sophomore summer and my junior/senior summer, as well as during my last 3 years of college and maybe even the second semester of my freshman year. Do an internship my sophomore/junior summer. Then, go to a top PhD program in chemical biology. Then, do my postdoc at another top university (preferably Harvard). (Of course, this is all what would happen in an ideal situation; the only thing I have actually done so far is get accepted into the undergraduate program). Then, hopefully go into pharmaceutical industry as a researcher. If I decide in a few years that I would like to make more money, switch to the management track and get an MBA if that would be helpful.

So, I have a few questions:
1) Is the job market really as bad as some people say? I have read on forums about people who say it is near impossible to get a real job instead of a "permatemp" position and even the "real jobs" have terrible pay and terrible hours. On the other hand, I have also read in other places that the pharmaceutical sector is growing and has low unemployment. Also, I know some people who are actually in industry right now. I know a couple people who have been in the industry for a long time and get good pay and hours. They say that if you go to the "right" schools and have internship experience you shouldn't have trouble finding a job, and can work your way up fairly quickly if you try hard. I know another who went to a good school but not one of the aforementioned "right" schools, and did not do anything past a bachelor's, who loves their current job at a startup and as far as I know didn't have huge trouble getting that job. I know another who went to another good school and decided to get a PhD instead of going straight into industry (as he said many of his friends did) because the pay was "almost the same." I know their PhD has a stipend of 35-40k so I assume the entry-level jobs they would get were in the 35-50k range, which isn't good but then again that was for a bachelor's degree level job - and it seemed that his peers didn't have all that much trouble getting those jobs.
2) Is majoring in chemistry with a biology minor a good idea? Or is biology major with chemistry minor a better idea? Do I even need a minor? (It won't be much work to pick up a minor, anyway.) I am also thinking about majoring in chemistry and minoring in math or computer science, instead of or in addition to biology. Would those subjects be relevant to a pharmaceutical job?
3) How difficult would it be to move to the management track from a research position? I mean after I had gotten settled after a few years, become a respected researcher, and made connections with higher-ups and all that, would the transition still be very difficult? Would minoring in business (another option I've been considering) be helpful for this? I am not choosing my career for money, but for intellectual reasons; however, I figure that after years doing research and development I *may* want to go into management and make more (if they do make more) for a change of pace.
4) If I were to move into the management track, would getting an MBA be helpful? And if so, would it be likely that the company pay for my MBA? I know some companies do pay for their workers to get MBA's, but I have no idea if that is common in the pharmaceutical industry.
5) After doing my postdoc, would I need to do a lot of "grunt work" and work my way up or could I go directly into research & development? R&D of pharmaceutical drugs is by far the most interesting to me, which is why I decided on this career path in the first place.
6) Which company of the major pharmaceuticals/biotech companies (by biotech I mean places like Amgen) pays the best (or do startups normally have better pay)? Like I said, I am not in this for the money but obviously making more money is a good thing. I'm based in the Bay Area FYI.
7) Would an undergraduate degree in chemistry from a well-respected university plus an advanced degree in chemical biology be at all helpful if I, say, wanted to switch into chemical engineering later in life? For some reason I don't find engineering particularly interesting, even though I like all the science disciplines. Would minors in math/CS help my case if I did decide to switch into chemical engineering (which is unlikely - asking just in case)?
8 ) Is there anyone besides CEOs who makes obscene money (500k+ yearly salaries) in this industry? This one is more out of curiosity, I would be perfectly satisfied with something much less than that, and besides if I wanted that kind of money I wouldn't go this route.

Offline marth

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: High school grad interested in pharmaceutical industry - advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »
27 views and no responses? I realize it's long but give it a chance please. Thanks

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:24:59 PM »
1) Is the job market really as bad as some people say?

It's certainly not as good as it used to be. Pharma comapnies constantly merging has lead to a downsizing in R & D as the new company's excess capacity is eliminated. A lot of academia R & D was also downsized as Govt. funding was reduced. In the UK, between the mid 80's and the turn of the millennium, I saw candidate qualifacations for entry level posts move from BSc through to PhD.

2) Is majoring in chemistry with a biology minor a good idea?

It probably doesn't matter too much. As you progress throught the education system you may get a better feel for what employers are looking for. Don't set your career path in stone too early

3) How difficult would it be to move to the management track from a research position?

Not a Hard as you think. If management is your end goal look at possibly pursuing a scientific MBA. I got my break into management because the person above in the management tree me froze like a deer in headlights in a meeting with the company owner, I stepped in and carried on with the meeting, it can be that simple.
4) If I were to move into the management track, would getting an MBA be helpful? And if so, would it be likely that the company pay for my MBA? It may be possible, you would have to check out that particular company's education policy. It may be based on seniority or may require you to commit to a term of employment post-graduation to avouid paying back fees
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:37:46 PM »
5) After doing my postdoc, would I need to do a lot of "grunt work" and work my way up or could I go directly into research & development? R&D of pharmaceutical drugs is by far the most interesting to me, which is why I decided on this career path in the first place.

You will never escape 'grunt work' as you call it, even in R & D. You had better get used to it a lot of pharmaceutical R & D requires repetition and reproducibility.

6) Which company of the major pharmaceuticals/biotech companies (by biotech I mean places like Amgen) pays the best (or do startups normally have better pay)?

No Idea, Startup Biotech may pay more but the environment is risky, I know of one colleague who worked for 3 separate companies (in the bay area) which all folded when they failed to make their respective funding milestones

7) Would an undergraduate degree in chemistry from a well-respected university plus an advanced degree in chemical biology be at all helpful if I, say, wanted to switch into chemical engineering later in life?

No Idea, but numeracy skills are always an advantage

8 ) Is there anyone besides CEOs who makes obscene money (500k+ yearly salaries) in this industry? This one is more out of curiosity, I would be perfectly satisfied with something much less than that, and besides if I wanted that kind of money I wouldn't go this route.

No Idea, but I did not get into science to become rich. I am happy doing a job which I enjoy even after 20+ years
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sponsored Links