March 28, 2024, 02:47:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How can i determine how much iron wool is needed to remove h2s from biogas.  (Read 4528 times)

Offline bashbaliga

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
So there is this 3m3/day small Biogas plant I'm working on, So what I'll be doing is pass biogas into a plastic tank containing Iron wool so that H2s is removed,

I have to find the amount of Iron wool needed If i'm planning to remove the iron wool after one month and passing the gas for around 5 hours/day.

What I'm asking is 1) What is the amount of Iron wool required for the above data ?

2)Is it possible to find the dimensions of the tank by the above data ?(assume general data if not mentioned )

i have read the forum rules, can you atleast tell me the relevant formulae or how to methods ?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
You might try to figure it out stoicimetrically, but I would be wise to use a great excess, to be sure the steel wool doesn't end up coated in sulfide, and no longer reacts..  Even so, you need to have some idea of how much H2S you're talking about.  This isn't a time or volume based quantity, you will have to analyze a gas sample and determine proportion of H2S.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline bashbaliga

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
I have a fair Idea about that, It took around 132g of iron wool around 5 days with 2-3 operating hours/day to get black residue on it..
Guess I can get an rough estimate of how much iron wool I need for 30 days using this, I just wanted to know if the same can be calculated theoretically or not.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Well, we like to help people help themselves, on this board.  Even if they're not kids on school, but are instead trying to work it out for industry or housebound chemistry.  Can you begin by writing a balanced chemical reaction for the absorption of H2S on iron?  We'll start with that, and see what we can figure out.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links