April 26, 2024, 01:41:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Countries for chemists?  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Shirro

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Countries for chemists?
« on: May 17, 2012, 04:36:57 AM »
I was wondering in which countries there are good job markets for chemists? Would rly like to hear from chemists from different parts of the world.
I'm from Finland and the job market here isn't very good. So if you know something about your countries situation(especially for analytical chemistry) feel free to comment.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Countries for chemists?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:12:38 AM »
At the moment I suspect Asia - I think a lot of industry is shipping out there, especially India and China.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 07:13:13 AM »
india and china.

the modern world pretty much outsources everything.

it is not very good in any first world country for chemists these days

Offline wynn

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:06:34 AM »
india and china.

the modern world pretty much outsources everything.

it is not very good in any first world country for chemists these days

I'm kind of a chemistry major right now. Can you please tell me why it is not very good in any first world country for chemists these days??

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:52:28 AM »
It's the whole economic crisis thing. Industry is folding, a lot of what's still standing outsources for cheaper labour (well, the big companies at least). Funding for scientific research is generally being cut through austerity measures.

It's a tough market these days, but getting a job is by no means impossible.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Jasim

• Mole Snacks: +15/-5
  • Analytical chemist, passionate about chemistry
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »
I've said this in other threads. I have to continue being a dissenter.

I live in the USA and there are not enough chemists around here, especially analytical chemists. We have numerous positions we can't fill and turnover rate is ridiculously high because other companies can't fill their positions either so they do whatever they can to lure away our chemists. It depends on where you are.

Analytical chemists will continue to be in very high demand for the foreseeable future.Various sectors including manufacturing, environmental and safety, engineering, pharm, petro, tech industries....The need for fast, continual analysis of chemicals for R/D, quality control, etc. is only growing as our high tech industries become increasingly dependent on synthetics and molecular-scale technologies.

The problem that I see is that the jobs tend to be very localized to specific regions. I live in Indianapolis, a hub of pharm, petro, chemical, and engineering research in the midwest USA. If there is a problem with the industry here, it's that we can't get enough chemists. Come to Indiana!

A quick search on Career Builder currently lists over 100 jobs matching criteria for Category: 'Science', Search term 'Chemist' in my local Indianapolis area alone. And that is just one job listing website. There are jobs out there for chemists, just keep looking.

Sponsored Links