April 24, 2024, 07:15:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why is concentration of gas independent of the amount of solid producing it  (Read 3759 times)

Offline sodium.dioxid

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Say I have a solid in a container decomposing into gas. I double the amount of solid present. Why doesn't the concentration of the gas go up. I think I know why: doubling the amount of solid will reduce the volume available for gas (pressure increases). The system responds by reducing the pressure by favoring solid formation. Thus, the concentration/volume ratio is maintained. Can someone confirm this for me? This would mean that rate=k for the solid. Is this true?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Can you write an equilibrium constant for the reaction:

A(s) ::equil:: B(g)
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline sodium.dioxid

This is not the problem. I know that the constant is Keq=B. Yes, the equation says it is independent of the solid. I was trying to understand the "why".

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Oh, I see. Let's see:

doubling the amount of solid will reduce the volume available for gas (pressure increases). The system responds by reducing the pressure by favoring solid formation. Thus, the concentration/volume ratio is maintained. Can someone confirm this for me?

I think you're basically there. I would say that when considering this problem, you can ignore the volume of the solid. Reason being, the density of the solid >> gas, so changes in solid volume are negligibly small in comparison to the gas volume.

From there the argument can follow what you have said. The concentration of a gas (ideal) is directly proportional to its pressure. As more gas is formed, pressure increases. As this happens, you can imagine high pressure pushing the gaseous molecules back together again, forming solid (Le Chatelier). Increasing pressure favours solid formation, and eventually you get to a point where the rate of solid formation is the same as rate of gas formation: equilibrium.

The solid does not appear in the rate equation because we approximate its volume to constant.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline sodium.dioxid

Thank you!

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

This is not the problem. I know that the constant is Keq=B. Yes, the equation says it is independent of the solid. I was trying to understand the "why".

I do not think that the concentration of gas in independent of the amount of solid. Put zero amount of solid and you will obtain zero concentration of gas.

The equation Keq=B = B/A (because A=1) says that I will find B for each unit of A.
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Offline sodium.dioxid

I do not think that the concentration of gas in independent of the amount of solid. Put zero amount of solid and you will obtain zero concentration of gas.

The equation Keq=B = B/A (because A=1) says that I will find B for each unit of A.

Please refer to the discussion titled "Does rate of dissolution depend on the size of the solid?".

Sponsored Links