April 30, 2024, 04:27:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: benzyl chloride reaction  (Read 3609 times)

Offline jorbarrientos

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
benzyl chloride reaction
« on: May 20, 2012, 07:53:36 PM »
hey everyone, im having a hard time trying to figure out the products from the following reaction:

You have benzyl chloride and treat it with Cl2 at 145°C. I know this is going to form Ph-CH-Cl2.

Then it says that you treat the previous product with NaOH 5% in acetone and water, and this is where im stuck, since i dont understand what type of reaction would happen there, i mean, i think -OH would act as a nucleophile and attack the CH-Cl2 Carbon via SN2, but that would give Ph-CH(OH)Cl as a product and i dont know if this is right, so i need you to please tell me what happens when you have a good nucleophile but it is going to attack a Carbon with 2 Cl´s attached to it. Is my prediction correct? Is it attacked twice and that produces a Diol?... i would also appreciate if you could explain a little bit about the solvent used in this reaction, since i dont really understand the low NaOH concentration and that acetone-water mixture they chose.

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: benzyl chloride reaction
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
Well... The initial product need not necessarily be a dichloro product. It would actually be a mixture of di and trichlorinated products. And if the Cl2 used is in excess, you could even end up getting a BHC derivative.

Assuming that it is not in excess, the OH would most certainly act as a nuclephile, and substitute according as the product is di (diol = aldehyde) or tri (triol = acid). Or atleast that's what I believe would happen. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Solvent : The acetone component of the solvent is probably used for the organic compound at hand, the benzyl chloride.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:27:19 PM »
I think you will end up with benzaldehyde.
This process is an oxidation. Treatment of the dichloro compound (Ph-CH-Cl2 where the C atom is at the aldehyde oxidation level) with dilute OH- will produce Ph-CH-(OH)(Cl) which is a chlorinated hemiacetal. If it reacts further you will obtain the hemiacetal, which is just hydrated benzaldehyde.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 02:56:15 AM »
Yes, but what about the possibility of tri chlorination? I mean, what happens when the final product is a trichlorinated one? Is it possible at all?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 03:47:11 AM »
Yes, but what about the possibility of tri chlorination? I mean, what happens when the final product is a trichlorinated one? Is it possible at all?

Trichlorination is possible, however, it would be a minor side product, owing to the steric contstraints.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links