April 18, 2024, 11:48:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Most Important Organic Syntheses  (Read 2679 times)

Offline JonathanS

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Most Important Organic Syntheses
« on: May 26, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
I define "important" as most commonly used to make the cheapest target molecule.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Most Important Organic Syntheses
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »
I define "important" as most commonly used to make the cheapest target molecule.

Depends which area you are talking about e.g. pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, plastics and so on.
Each area will have it's own "important" starting materials and targets, it's a question of how much you want to pay.
So I do not really follow what you desire to know :o
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »
This is a concept that probably is largely out of favor. In the olden days, students were asked to propose routes from air, fire, and water. Well, not quite that far back, but the question is seemingly asking how all the various chemicals are obtained. This can come down to understanding the various commercial processes. The regiochemistry of a reaction is often found in the price of the chemical, or you can think in the opposite direction knowing the price, what was the route of synthesis.

Catalog prices have different influences. You can begin to learn how something is made if you think about ordering a tank car of something. Who are the suppliers and how do they make it. You won't find that in a speciality catalog. You will find commercial production can have a great influence on price and may provide the incentive for a new and chemically superior routes. Similarly, there may be precedent for superior routes that is not being utilized because of a lack of demand. If someone wanted something, the price may change greatly.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline JonathanS

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 02:25:11 AM »

Depends which area you are talking about e.g. pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, plastics and so on.
Each area will have it's own "important" starting materials and targets, it's a question of how much you want to pay.
So I do not really follow what you desire to know :o

Pharmaceuticals :) Thank you!

Offline JonathanS

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 02:28:19 AM »
This is a concept that probably is largely out of favor. In the olden days, students were asked to propose routes from air, fire, and water. Well, not quite that far back, but the question is seemingly asking how all the various chemicals are obtained. This can come down to understanding the various commercial processes. The regiochemistry of a reaction is often found in the price of the chemical, or you can think in the opposite direction knowing the price, what was the route of synthesis.

Catalog prices have different influences. You can begin to learn how something is made if you think about ordering a tank car of something. Who are the suppliers and how do they make it. You won't find that in a speciality catalog. You will find commercial production can have a great influence on price and may provide the incentive for a new and chemically superior routes. Similarly, there may be precedent for superior routes that is not being utilized because of a lack of demand. If someone wanted something, the price may change greatly.

Ah I see. That is a problem, and it seems that I will need to understand the process of producing the raw materials in order to do what I need. Nevertheless I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thank you :)

Sponsored Links