May 01, 2024, 05:50:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: "Saturation" of hydrocarbons  (Read 6859 times)

Offline lokifenrir96

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
"Saturation" of hydrocarbons
« on: June 08, 2012, 08:04:34 AM »
Hi, I read that the definition of a "saturated" hydrocarbon is one that has only single bonds present in the structure. So is a carboxylic acid like propanoic acid considered saturated even with the double bond to O in COOH? Or does "saturated" only refer to alkanes, that is, "saturated with hydrogen"? OR can it be saturated with other elements but with single bonds, like a diol?

So which, specifically, of the above 3 is it?
1) Saturated with hydrogen only (i.e. alkanes) - no other elements present
2) Saturated with single bonds between all carbons AND other elements like O
3) Single bonds between all carbons, but can have double bonds with other elements, like O

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: "Saturation" of hydrocarbons
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:23:51 AM »
Saturated hydrocarbon means hydrocarbon only!
Carboxylic acids may contain carboxyl group and saturated  (unsaturated or aromatic) substutuents (groups).
Sometimes is defined so called degree of unsaturation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_of_unsaturation

http://firstyear.chem.usyd.edu.au/calculators/degree_of_unsaturation.shtml
AWK

Offline Jasim

• Mole Snacks: +15/-5
  • Analytical chemist, passionate about chemistry
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »
Ignore functional groups. Basically saturated means it has no C=C, or double bonds between two carbons.

Offline lokifenrir96

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:25:17 AM »
Ah so as long as the carbon chain doesn't have any bonds other than single bonds, then it can still have any functional groups, be it a double bond with O in COOH, and still be considered "saturated"?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
Yes, the term "saturated" is trying to describe the hydrocarbon chain, even if it is functionalized with hetero- atoms (for example, O, N, and others.)  If you have an unsaturated hydrocarbon, say a 15 carbon chain with one or more double bond carbons in it, if you put it under pressure with hydrogen gas and a catalyst, you can "saturate" the hydrocarbon -- replace the double bond in the carbons with single bonds to hydrogen.  But, (AFAIK,) you can't use the same method turn a carboxylic acid into ... what, a hydrocarbon and two water molecules and half a hydrogen molecule?  That just doesn't happen.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline lokifenrir96

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:42:04 PM »
Hmm but I thought saturated means that each of the carbon atoms are saturated with 4 atoms, so if one of the carbon atoms has a double bond to O as in COOH, why would it still be considered saturated even if the rest of the chain is (saturated)?

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 03:52:20 AM »
Hmm but I thought saturated means that each of the carbon atoms are saturated with 4 atoms

Well you are wrong as has been pointed out above a number of times, do not post a question if you stubbornly refuse to read the correct answers kindly given by people.

so if one of the carbon atoms has a double bond to O as in COOH, why would it still be considered saturated even if the rest of the chain is (saturated)?

Listen to what people have told you "saturated" or "unsaturated" ONLY applies to the HYDROCARBON chain not to any functional groups attached to that chain.

Lauric acid is a C14 saturated fatty acid while oleic acid is a C18 monounsaturated fatty acid.

Offline lokifenrir96

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 06:27:34 AM »
Well, it's not that I'm refusing to listen to others. It's just that they didn't specifically mention that my definition was wrong and I just wanted to clarify.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 07:01:23 AM »
Well, it's not that I'm refusing to listen to others. It's just that they didn't specifically mention that my definition was wrong and I just wanted to clarify.

YES you are and YES they did. The first 2 replies gave you the right answer but you asked again in your 2nd post, another reply again gave you the correct answer but you felt the need to ignore those correct replies and asked the same question yet again.

Offline lokifenrir96

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »
I thought this was a Chemistry forum o.0 not a dispute over how clear the answers are o.0. I hope you're the exception to the rule. Thanks anyway, now your answer was clear :)

Offline Jasim

• Mole Snacks: +15/-5
  • Analytical chemist, passionate about chemistry
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
Chill with the rudeness. This is a chemistry forum, lets talk chemistry.

Hmm but I thought saturated means that each of the carbon atoms are saturated with 4 atoms, so if one of the carbon atoms has a double bond to O as in COOH, why would it still be considered saturated even if the rest of the chain is (saturated)?

It kind of does mean that the carbons are connected to 4 other atoms, except in the case of functional groups. As stated, saturated only refers to hydrocarbon (H and C). The simplest explanation is that saturated means it has no carbon to carbon double or triple bonds. Unsaturated means it has carbon to carbon double or triple bonds. That's it. Nothing more to add to the definition. Don't make it more difficult than it is.

The chemistry of functional groups is fundamentally different than the chemistry of just the hydrocarbon changes, that's why we call them functional groups. If you study organic chemistry you'll learn about the chemistry of various functional groups. This is why we make the distinction between hydrocarbon chains and functional groups. Saturated compounds can undergo some reactions that unsaturated compounds cannot, and vice-versa.

Sponsored Links