April 26, 2024, 07:08:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: UEFA Euro 2012  (Read 25895 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
UEFA Euro 2012
« on: June 09, 2012, 02:50:11 AM »
Anybody following? I am not a great fan of soccer these days, but to some extent I feel obliged  ;)

Our yesterdays 1:1 with Greece was a disappointment. First 20 minutes were great, but then they stopped :(, we are lucky we didn't lost.

Which is even worse taking into account that Russia won 4:1 with Czech Republic and we play Russia on 12th.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: UEFA Euro 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 04:36:00 AM »
Yeah, we have a sweepstake at work so I'm following it a bit. I drew England, so I don't expect to make any money!
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 04:42:08 AM »
I do not care about football but I do not think this tournament should have been given to Ukraine given the violence and racism of their domestic football fans. Poland I'm not sure about but Ukraine should not have got it.

To be very honest I consider most football fans or sports fan in general who go to live events as primitive halfwits who just want to be part of a gang more than having any great love of the sport.  Football seems to attract more of those halfwits than other sports which is why football hooliganism is so wide spread across the world.  I would bet large sums of my own money on the average IQ of football fans being less than 100.  The world would be a better place if most of them were put down.

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 04:51:49 AM »
To Spain, i owe my loyalty :D  But I really liked Lewandowski's goal! Excellent, flawless header! Made sure he got there and he got there right on time
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:45:31 AM »
I do not care about football but I do not think this tournament should have been given to Ukraine given the violence and racism of their domestic football fans. Poland I'm not sure about but Ukraine should not have got it.

This was lately blown out of proportion by BBC. I was always under impression BBC was a model of objective journalism, but what they did lately interviewing Campbell was biased and off. Yes, there are groups of soccer hooligans in Poland, yes, they use racist slogans. But they are a minority, not more important than similar groups in other European countries. No similar groups in UK? Germany? Give me a break. BBC lost a lot of credibility in my eyes.

I can't speak for Ukraine as well, but from what I hear here situation there is not substantially worse.

Edit: this just came out. In the same material BBC interviewed Jonathan Onrstein from Kraków Jewish community, and he said his statement was manipulated - everything he had said about these groups being marginal was cut out.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:06:53 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:42:06 AM »
Spain-Italy ended in a 1-1 draw :\ :\ The teams were kinda equally matched, with Spain having the slight upper hand (as is the case always). Too many interceptions from both teams. Ball control seemed to be lacking. Torres : Man, you should have scored atleast twice. Once he was 1 on 1 vs Buffon, and he turnedthe wrong way. The 85th minute miss was a HUGE bummer. He could have very easily passed it to Navas and the goal was open for him.

Croatia-Ireland : One of the funnier ones :P :P Guys who watched the match : there was a banner on the ground which was not removed for very long time, wasnt there? :P
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:36:00 AM »
I haven't seen Croatia vs Ireland but I watched Spain vs Italy. I hoped for more but not a bad match overall. I liked it much more than Germany vs Portugal on Saturday - plenty of quick short passes in the crowd looks much better than long slow passes in the empty middle field. That was a striking difference.

Players complained abut the grass in Gdańsk being slow - sorry guys, its hardly our fault. UEFA put their own grass so go bug Platini about it  :P

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:20:36 AM »
I didnt watch the entire match (Croatia-Ireland) either :P After a while, it just got sad. Plus it was getting late (GMT + 5.30)
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Caustikola

• Mole Snacks: +4/-9
    • Chemistry:The Central Science
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 01:20:08 PM »
Germany-portugal was dissapointing:P
Nothing gets higher than where God dwells. If there is an upper limit to the universe,call it the abode of God

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 04:56:10 PM »
Bad luck. We didn't deserve to lose the match with Czechs. Perhaps we were not better, but we were not worse.

And with Greece winning over Russia whole group was put on the head. I haven't seen the Russian/Greece match, but from what Greece have shown before they were IMHO the weakest team in the group.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »
Definitely. But that's football I suppose. It's a shame to see one of the hosts go out in the groups, but I wouldn't put it past England to screw up against Ukraine to put a host team in the quarters!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »
Germany made my day.

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +36/-15
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 05:29:31 PM »
Germany made my day.

You´re welcome. ;D

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »
Another good match today, I thought France fought hard and played well but Spain are just too good. I think the only team that could beat them is Germany. I hope England can put up a good performance against Italy, but in any case a Spain Germany final is inevitable.

Offline gfunk

• Mole Snacks: +8/-4
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 03:37:03 AM »
My loyalty is with Italy, but I don't think they'll fare too well against Germany :(.
Grad Student - Organic Chemistry
University of Alberta

Sponsored Links