April 29, 2024, 12:07:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Vitamin D2 and D3 + KOH  (Read 3046 times)

Offline bonkers

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Vitamin D2 and D3 + KOH
« on: June 12, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »
Hello,

I was doing an analyzis today with RP-HPLC with vitamines D2 and D3. After I Diluted the sample(jam) in few ml of water I added KOH in EtOH and heated the solution for 30 minutes. The thing I cant figure out is what reaction takes place between vitamin D and KOH. The next step was that I extracted it from the solution with hexane, which is probably related with the reaction.
D2
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Ergocalciferol.svg
D3
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Cholecalciferol.svg

I would also appreciate if anyone told me how to post the pictures in smaller format

Edit by Borek: links edited.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:09:37 PM by Borek »

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: Vitamin D2 and D3 + KOH
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to say, but from the way you've described it, it doesn't sound like the vitamin D is reacting with the KOH at all. The vitamin D is being extracted unchanged into the hexane. The KOH is reacting with other components in your jam so they will remain in the water.

Offline bonkers

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to say, but from the way you've described it, it doesn't sound like the vitamin D is reacting with the KOH at all. The vitamin D is being extracted unchanged into the hexane. The KOH is reacting with other components in your jam so they will remain in the water.
I think i was misled by the protocol or just don´t remember correctly. It said that vitamines are saponificated, but it actually ment that fats in the sample are saponificated so they wouldn´t interfere with my chromatographic peaks later in the analysis? Am I correct?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
I would also appreciate if anyone told me how to post the pictures in smaller format

I don't think you can have any control over the image size, they are displayed in their native size.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:19:10 PM »
bonkers,

I was just about to suggest saponification myself, although it is just an educated guess.  There are phospholipids in material derived from any living tissue.  If you turn esters of fatty acids into their carboxylate salts, they become more polar and are less likely to be found in the hexane layer.

Offline bonkers

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:33:27 PM »
Thanks to all that replied

Sponsored Links