April 25, 2024, 06:09:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nano Al in Kerosene  (Read 3611 times)

Offline sam79

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nano Al in Kerosene
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:12:50 AM »
Hi

We currently make small quantities of nano Al in our lab, by exploding Aluminum wire(by applying high Voltage) in an atmosphere of Argon.
The Argon is necessary to prevent oxidation of Al into Al203.(The high voltage causes the Al to become a Plasma before it vaporizes).

Exploding in water is no good as it reacts with water to form Al2O3 + H2(bad, if it accumulates)

Could all the hassle of exploding in Argon be replaced by just exploding in Kerosene?
I thought of kerosene because it could then be distilled away leaving nano-Al powder.
Is there a better medium?

Sam

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Nano Al in Kerosene
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:06:01 AM »
I don't suspect a complex organic compound like kerosine won't decompose when subjected to high voltage that vaporizes aluminum, even in a oxygen free environment.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 06:45:12 AM »
Maybe the voltage won't decompose your hydrocarbon, but then gaseous or plasma aluminium will for sure, polluting your aluminium with carbides, hydrides...

Is argon such a hassle? You could use vacuum but it looks more difficult.

Anyway, aluminium nanopowder will oxidize immediately in air even once it has cooled down, so you need some protection for it.

Offline vex

• Mole Snacks: +13/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:00:26 AM »
Argon is definitely the way to go for this, though you probably want to store your nano-Al under kerosene or mineral oil. Be sure that these are anhydrous or you'll just end up with alumina anyway.
University of Michigan Ph. D. Pre-Candidate, Inorganic Chemistry

Do or do not. There is no "try."

Sponsored Links