April 26, 2024, 11:55:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: POCl3 vs PCl3  (Read 10404 times)

yqu2

POCl3 vs PCl3
« on: November 29, 2005, 09:29:44 PM »
My professor asked us a really interesting question today.  We are covering reaction of alcohol.  basically to convert alcohol into alkyl halide, a special way of doing it (instead of just adding HX and heat) is to use PX3 (phosphate trihalide).  The alcohol is converted into alkyl halide in a SN2 manner.  On the other hand in dehydration of alcohol can be aided by POCl3, or phosphrous oxychloride.  This reaction occur in a E2 manner (the product is an alkene)  So here's his question; What makes these two similar compounds act in such a differe manner?  I have no clue.  If anyone has the Bruice book, I'm talking about the topics in pg 449 and pg 442.  Thanks
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 09:33:25 PM by yqu2 »

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Re:POCl3 vs PCl3
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 01:24:57 AM »
First...what makes you think PCl3 and POCl3 are 'similar'?

When it comes to formula...yes...but then again, CH4 and CH3OH are 'similar' like that.  But a quick check of their properties shows that the two have different stabilities, reactivities, and applications.

Your prof probably wants you to look at the STRUCTURE of each, and see what one has, that the other doesnt....and how that unique feature aids in each of the reactions you described.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 01:27:22 AM by lemonoman »

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:POCl3 vs PCl3
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 02:10:57 AM »
Lone pairs of electrons make good electrophiles, a key step in any SN2 reaction.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links