April 18, 2024, 11:48:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Expectations of volunteering in a research lab?  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Violagirl

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Expectations of volunteering in a research lab?
« on: June 17, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

So this week, I will begin volunteering in a research lab as an undergraduate student. I met with my PI on Friday to discuss the research more in-depth and to get to know me more in person. I got the opportunity to ask him some questions about his research and he mentioned next week would be a sort of trial week to see how things go with me in the lab. This statement made a little bit nervous and I wanted to know what should be expected especially in the first few weeks? Does the PI or anyone else available in the lab demonstrate the techniques that will be needed for later and then allow you to work independently or does it vary each day? Sorry for all the questions, this will be my first experience working in a lab outside of a classroom. :)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Expectations of volunteering in a research lab?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »
This statement made a little bit nervous and I wanted to know what should be expected especially in the first few weeks? Does the PI or anyone else available in the lab demonstrate the techniques that will be needed for later and then allow you to work independently or does it vary each day?

Yes, a current grad student or postdoc should look after you for the first few days to make sure you are not dangerous and teach you basic techniques. Once they are happy with you they will stop looking over your shoulder all the time and just wander over and have a look now and then. Eventually you'll be left to you own devices unless you ask for help.

You are not expected to know how to do everything practically, but a knowledge of the theoretical basis of techniques is usually expected. E.g. in an organic lab you should understand the principles behind chromatography, even if you've never run a TLC or done a column.

The most important thing: If you are unsure, always ask. It is better to ask a stupid question than to cause a stupid accident, needlessly waste an experiment or damage expensive equipment through ignorance. If you don't understand why you are doing something in a protocol, stop and find out why you are doing it - this way you will understand where to apply different techniques when you begin planning your own experiments.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links