April 28, 2024, 05:17:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Breaking up components in a mixture...  (Read 4048 times)

Marine4Life9789

Breaking up components in a mixture...
« on: December 01, 2005, 08:28:50 AM »
Ok this is a question for my lab final in chem lab.   ???

1.  You have a mixture of sodium chloride, sodium hydroxide, fructose, cornstarch, sodium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate, calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, ferric sulfide, metallic iron, and silver dust.  Devise a scheme to separate every one of these twelve components from the others.  Your answer should take the form of a flow chart.

Ive tried figure it out finding  the water soluble parts and seeing that iron is magnetic.  The final is open book and we can use any resource.  Im just looking for some help on how to get started and what things to look for when breaking up different parts.  This is all the information i have at the moment, i will repost with more data when i come across it.  Thank you.  :(

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Breaking up components in a mixture...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 03:35:42 PM »
Does anybody has any idea if cornstarch is soluble in organic solvent, eg. n-hexane?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re:Breaking up components in a mixture...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 02:02:04 AM »
Does anybody has any idea if cornstarch is soluble in organic solvent, eg. n-hexane?
Not at all.
The problem itself is not resovable
AWK

Sponsored Links