March 28, 2024, 08:17:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why biological organisms are made up of molecules not ionic compounds?  (Read 3282 times)

Offline minneola

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello,

Given that all living organisms are composed primarily of water, briefly explain why it makes sense that biological organisms are made up of molecules and not ionic compounds.  (Hint, think about what happens when you add an ionic compound like sodium chloride, common table salt, to a glass of water.)

I'm taking high school chemistry class and this is a question on the homework. I'm not sure of an answer, I put that

We are made of molecules because ionic compounds need a 1:1 and we are made up of 4 + elements. Each of those elements are no where near 50% of our body makeup so the 1:1 ratio wouldnt work.

Would this work? Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
No. Numbers you listed are wrong (plenty of ionic compounds that are not 1:1) and are not in any way related to the question.

I don't like the question, as it is wrong in many aspects - we do contain plenty of ionic compounds. TBH I have no idea what it tries to ask.

But - what happens to the kitchen salt added to water?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline minneola

My fault on the 1:1 ratio, that is wrong actually.

When you add salt to water it disolves, maybe that is the answer to the question. We do not disolve?  :-\

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
Sugar dissolves as well. What is the difference between dissolution of ionic and non-ionic substances?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline minneola

My complete introductory (As basic as it gets) book doesnt mention anything. I read the whole ionic section too.

Also maybe the question states that were made up of MOSTLY molecules?

Does it have to do with the chemical reactions being stronger in molecules? For example, insulin needs to break down sugar (if I have that right). It wont be able to do that if its weakly charged?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
I guess the answer should be related to dissociation, perhaps to intermolecular forces.

But I still don't like the question.

Offline minneola

Yeah. Unfortionantly neithor of those topics have been discussed much in the lecture.

Nothing I can do about the question either :/

Sponsored Links