April 20, 2024, 12:48:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acetone Synthesis  (Read 30527 times)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re:Acetone Synthesis
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 02:33:24 PM »
KMnO4 will oxidise alcohols to ketones if done CAREFULLY, in dilute concentration, both chemicals being prechilled to as near as 0 degrees as is possible.

Otherwise, if heated or concentrated, it will take the alcohol straight to the carboxylic acid in my experience.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 09:53:25 PM »
Do not mix hydrogen peroxide with organic acids!!! That is a very dangerous thing to do.~Mitch
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 09:58:55 PM by Mitch »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 11:33:52 AM »
Mitch, what about in creation of peracids? that is a perfectly valid reason for the peroxidation of an organic acid, to make peracetic/performic acid for epoxidation of propenylbenzenes/allylbenzenes.

And for oxidising organics there are cases, when dilute peroxide (I'm talking from 3% to 10% solution) can be very good as a selective oxidant for complex alcohols to ketones.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 08:46:18 AM »
Alberto_Kravina –
How did you pure ethanol or was it denatured?
Regards,
Bill

It wasn´t denaturated! I think that you can´t use denaturated EtOH to make this reaction bacause maybe the substance used to denaturate EtOH (I think that it is Pyridine but I´m not sure) can interfer in the reaction.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 01:31:35 PM »
Many times methanol is added to anhydrous ethanol in order to denature it.  This is because the chemistry of methanol and ethanol are so similar that any reactions involving the ethanol won't be altered too severely by the methanol.  However, the presence of the methanol makes the ethanol unsuitable for drinking.  In addition, it's a bit difficult separating the methanol from the ethanol.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links