March 29, 2024, 11:27:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Problems abstracting a thienopyrimidine proton using n/sec-BuLi  (Read 9199 times)

Offline Extracted

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Re: Problems abstracting a thienopyrimidine proton using n/sec-BuLi
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 11:08:02 PM »
I'd go with the protection idea as well, and try the quench conditions with just the starting material... no n-BuLi.  I think you'll find the amine is exchanging with the D2O.

Offline JimCronshaw

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 09:46:16 PM »
Update: The morpholine derivative has...had something happen to it. I'm unsure what that is. In any case, I'm doing the iodine reaction with the morpholine derivative today to see what, if anything, happens.

I'll probably just protect it with a boc group and try again, if the morpholine/iodine reaction goes.

Also got some NIS to give that a whirl.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 11:02:54 PM »
Update: The morpholine derivative has...had something happen to it. I'm unsure what that is. In any case, I'm doing the iodine reaction with the morpholine derivative today to see what, if anything, happens.

I'll probably just protect it with a boc group and try again, if the morpholine/iodine reaction goes.

Also got some NIS to give that a whirl.

You may e better to persilylate it with HMDS, putting on a Boc still leaves a NH.
I still think than NIS will react with the S atom as I said above.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »
I agree with the NIS reaction and Discos suggestion that it will react with sulfur. You might just try the organic synthesis prep of iodothiophene which use iodine and a catalyst. The notes did not describe the mechanism, but I think it would go on sulfur and rearrange. You could look up the org syn refs.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links