March 29, 2024, 02:45:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Re: New to physical chemistry, what is the best text to understand it?  (Read 9320 times)

Offline Bryan Sanctuary

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
    • Developers of Interactive Educational Software for Physical Chemistry, Chemistry and Physics
Hi
I was wondering from your experiences, which is the best text book for understanding physical chemistry concepts. Something that explains the concepts well and keeps the maths simple or explains the maths well in a simple way. Not just 50 derivations

Thanks

Any websites would also be nice. Thanks

Hi,
I am new to this forum but hope to get active on it. It would be great if you have a look at my signature and download chapter 1 of my physical chemistry book for free (contains many interactive explanations of Physical chemistry concepts), and let me know your opinion on it.
You can also find additional free resources and explanation of concepts on our Physical Chemistry Support portal (we are still in the process of building this up and adding information on a weekly basis).
I hope the explanations are simple enough.
Chemistry Prof, McGill University, Canada. Co-Author of Physical Chemistry by Laidler, Meiser, Sanctuary. President, MCHmultimedia.com. Interactive e-learning advocate.

Offline Bryan Sanctuary

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
    • Developers of Interactive Educational Software for Physical Chemistry, Chemistry and Physics
Re: New to physical chemistry, what is the best text to understand it?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »
Although I think Atkins is an excellent text, so is ours, Leidler, Meiser and Sanctuary (LMS), Physical chemistry http://www.mchmultimedia.com/store/index.html.  It is now an ebook and whereas hard copy texts cost about $150, you can get modules of  LMS for $14.99.  It also has much more than a hard copy book with built in multimedia, interactions, really easy navigation, and integrated to the Internet.  It comes with a complete solution manual and saves trees. The book has a 1000 pages, good graphics, zooms and has lots of features.

The first part is thermo and covers the topic in detail with lots of resources.  Acids bases, equilibrium are covered well followed by chemical kinetics.  One of the world leaders in kinetics was Kieth Laidler who wrote those chapters.  Then there is quantum and spectroscopy, a really good chapter in stat. mech. followed by some special topics.

Teachers can use the multimedia in the classroom, and can easily copy and paste figures into class notes. 

I do not know expensive hard copy text books are still around.  You can get chapter 1 for free:

http://www.mchmultimedia.com/store/register.php?action=try&cat=64

Chemistry Prof, McGill University, Canada. Co-Author of Physical Chemistry by Laidler, Meiser, Sanctuary. President, MCHmultimedia.com. Interactive e-learning advocate.

Sponsored Links