April 19, 2024, 05:30:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: HPLC Column pressure become higher and higher  (Read 3338 times)

Offline XinjiLi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
HPLC Column pressure become higher and higher
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
Hi,

Who can answer my question? My problem is HPLC Column pressure,too. But pressure become higher and higher when column use a period of time.This is common problem, may you say it is true, however, who can giving me a method to resolve it. Thanks for ant suggestion in advance.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: HPLC Column pressure become higher and higher
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
Hi,

Who can answer my question? My problem is HPLC Column pressure,too. But pressure become higher and higher when column use a period of time.This is common problem, may you say it is true, however, who can giving me a method to resolve it. Thanks for ant suggestion in advance.

Clean the filters, get rid of any air bubbles
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
The previous post is correct.  You need to clean the filters on the column and eliminate air bubbles.

However, this can be tricky.  When you go to replace the filters (some companies call them frits), be ready to do it quickly.  Have the filters ready and beside the column.  As soon as the column end is unscrewed, replace the filter and reseal the end.

When you take the column end off, if you see what looks like toothpaste seeping from the end, throw the column away a start with a new one.

Good luck.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »
It is rarely worthwhile to clean the column end frits, just trying is often going to cause the problem described -- the columns are very often packed under very high pressures, so removing the end caps will cause media to ooze out.  Even if it doesn't, the reassembled column is never the same -- a (scientist with a wrench) ≠ (a column manufacturing line) -- and column function may suffer.

First, the OP should try to isolate the problem.  Can the system run for a long time without a column, just running clean eluent?  If not, it may need internal repair, or inline filter replacement.  The same for other system components; injector, autosampler, and detector.  A new column should last many thousands of injections ... if its not abused by running under conditions that are outside of its specifications.  Or even just barely with specifications.  But a brand new column connected to a clean system full of filtered eluent should run eluent blanks indefinitely.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links