April 24, 2024, 09:17:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Predicting if the reaction is quantitative.  (Read 14015 times)

t.s.12

Predicting if the reaction is quantitative.
« on: December 02, 2005, 09:35:56 PM »
I have this lab, and we have to predict whether the reaction between aqueous sodium sulfate and aqueous calcium chloride is quantitative (reaction in which all of the limiting reagent is consumed).

CaCl2 (aq) + Na2SO4 (aq) ---> CaSO4 (s) + 2NaCl (aq)

I predicted that it is not, because I thought that since the reactants are aqueous and they would be placed in a beaker, a closed system would be formed; no matter would be exchanged with the surroundings.  There would be a competition between collisions of reactants to form products and collisions of products to form reactants, resulting in equilibrium, so both reactants will be present at the end of the reaction. However, after performing the lab and testing the filtrate both with Ba(NO3)2 and Na2CO3, to check for presence of excess sulfate ions or calcium ions, precipitate was formed with Ba(NO3)2 only, indicating that one reactant is in excess and the other one has been consumed completely.

It turned out the reaction is quantitative, which I did not expect. Could somebody please let me know how would we be able to predict that it is quantitative without carrying out an experiment???
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 09:38:02 PM by t.s.12 »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Predicting if the reaction is quantitative.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 09:49:12 PM »
The ionic net reaction is
Ca2+ + SO42- -> CaSO4 (s)

If both calcium and sulphate ions are equimolar, then there can be no limiting reagent.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 09:49:33 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

t.s.12

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 11:06:39 AM »
Ok, do you mean that there should be no limiting reagent that is completely consumed in this reaction?

Based on 3 trials, with diagnostic tests, precipitate was formed each time only with Ba(NO3)2 (aq), which tells me that sodium sulfate is the excess reagent, and calcium chloride has been completely consumed.

Diagnostic Test: Ba2+(aq) + SO42-(aq) ---> BaSO4(s)

I'm sorry, but could you please elaborate on your previous point?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 11:44:27 AM »
Define "quantitative reaction".
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

t.s.12

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 01:35:25 PM »
A quantitative reaction is one in which all of the limiting reagent is consumed.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 03:27:49 PM »
A quantitative reaction is one in which all of the limiting reagent is consumed.

no reactant can be considered as a limiting reagent if all reactants are consumed.

if a chemical reaction involves A reacting with B, and after the reaction, there are some B left-over, then reactant A is the limiting reagent. If there are some A left-ove (instead of B), then reactant B is the limiting reagent. If there are no left-overs of both A and B, then there is no limiting reagent.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 03:35:59 PM »
CaSO4 is very weakly soluble, so it precipitated almost completely - thus the reaction was quantitative.

However, every reaction has some equilibrium. Ksp of CaSO4 is  10-4.3, so saturated solution is about 0.005M. As you have used some excess of SO42- final concentration of Ca2+ was lower - probably in the range of 10-4/10-5M - so reaction was not quantitative.

As you see - depending on the approach - same reaction is at the same time quantitative and not quantitative. Definition you use is not precise thus it is hard to answerthe question.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

t.s.12

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 03:59:28 PM »
Alright..thanks to both of you.  :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 04:00:20 PM by t.s.12 »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 05:58:56 PM »
no reactant can be considered as a limiting reagent if all reactants are consumed.

I have missed your answer, as it took me much more time to answer then it should and later I had to leave, so I was not aware of the fact you answered too up to now.

The problem is, definition of quantitative reaction is bad. Mix 10 mL 0.01M CaCl2 and 10 mL 0.01M Na2SO4. What will happen?

Now mix 10 mL 1M CaCl2 and 10 mL 1M Na2SO4. Any difference?

So is CaSO4 precipitation quantitative reaction, or not?

Sponsored Links