April 25, 2024, 02:49:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electron Configuration for Sc+  (Read 16174 times)

Offline eRReR

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Electron Configuration for Sc+
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »
I'm a bit confused about certain electron configurations. If, for example, I want to write the electron configuration for Ti3+, it would be 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6 3d^1, or [Ar]3d^1, because, due to the movement of the energy levels, 4s is slightly higher than 3d so the 4s electrons are removed first.

This is my question: what is the electron configuration for Ti+? I know that titanium doesn't want to form a 1+ ion, so it's really a theoretical question. Should I remove the 4s electron and have [Ar]4s^1 3d^2? I can't remember where I read this, but I read that transition metal ions do not have s-electrons and, therefore, the electrons will shuffle around to give [Ar]3d^3. Which is right? Thanks in advance!

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Electron Configuration for Sc+
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:20:14 AM »
First, you remove the electrons from the s orbital. Later they shuffle, because 3d3 is stable in an octahedral field. (Half filled t2g level)
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline eRReR

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:56:48 AM »
Thank you for your *delete me*

Offline jens825

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »
The thing that your missing is that transition metals LOSE THEIR S ELECTRONS FIRST. All Transition metals start off with two s electrons, in this case, Ti+, it only loses one electron, so it will still have 1 s electron

Sponsored Links