April 23, 2024, 05:58:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Keeping water cool in the desert  (Read 6524 times)

Byrne

Keeping water cool in the desert
« on: December 04, 2005, 04:37:47 PM »
My teacher mentioned something about how ancient tribes and nomads kept their water cool in the desert.  I do not exactly recall what he said, but it had something to do with these individuals storing water in rough jugs and the water would transpire through the walls of the jugs (ceramic) and the rest of the water left in the jug would take the energy to cool.  That's the best I could recollect his words.  I was wondering if someone else could perhaps better explain this process.  I know it has something to do with equilibrium and evaporation being an endothermic process.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Keeping water cool in the desert
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 05:01:29 PM »
I don't know what more can be added - external surface of the jug was slightly wet and water was evaporating taking heat from the jug. That's all.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 06:40:05 PM »
Yes you can do the same thing here in Australia. You can buy a form of bladder to keep water in. You can tie it to the front of your car and the water weeps through the bladder and the air moving past the car hevaporates the water to result in cooling.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

RyanJones

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 10:04:33 AM »
Have two containers, an inner and an outer with water in both. Too the outer add Ammonium Nitrate, shake and you'll ahve ice cold if not frozen water in no time :-)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Sponsored Links