March 28, 2024, 04:08:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Advice, please!  (Read 4281 times)

Offline mkern94

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Advice, please!
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »
I plan on majoring in chemistry this fall when I start college. I've been planning on majoring in chemistry since 10th grade, but now I'm starting to have my doubts. I want a B.S. in chemistry, and obviously to do so I need to take a ton of chemistry and other science courses. (duh). Looking at the list of courses I will need to take, I can't help but start to get discouraged. Can I handle this? What if I fail? I was just wondering if any of you chemists out there were once in my position, and if you could maybe offer me some advice?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Advice, please!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »
Most humans feel self-doubt at some time or another.  I can understand that the classes seem daunting, but the question for you is:  What are the courses that seem hardest for you?  Did you take something similar at some point in high school?  Are you good, in general, at high school science courses.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »
Which classes intimidate you?

Offline mkern94

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:11:47 PM »
Organic Chem and Biochem make me nervous. I took AP Chem my senior year of high school and I did well in it. I'm just nervous about college in general, I guess. Plus I've been reading online about how the job market isn't looking to great of chemists these days. Should I believe that?

Sponsored Links