March 28, 2024, 08:03:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: High pH with low conductivity  (Read 2752 times)

Offline KBriggs

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
High pH with low conductivity
« on: July 13, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »
I want to make a pH 13.5 KCl solution with a conductivity between 1000 and 5000 uS/cm (roughly the conductivity of a 10-50mM KCl solution). The problem is that in order to get the pH so high, I need to add so much KOH that the conductivity is closer to 50,000uS/cm on the strength of the potassium alone.

Is there any way to raise the pH without adding to the conductivity?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: High pH with low conductivity
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 03:52:23 PM »
Not really.  By definition, pH requires an ionizable salt, so the pH adjuster will simply have to contribute some conductivity.  Does it have to be KCl?  Would a KOH solution not work as well as KCl for your application?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: High pH with low conductivity
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »
You are asking for impossible. pH 13.5 means OH- concentration of 0.3M - 300 mM. Thats already about three times more that the sum of concentrations of K+ and Cl- in 50 mM KCl solution. Add to that fact that limiting ion conductivity of OH- is at least twice higher than limiting ion conductivities of both K+ and Cl- and it is obvious that pH alone rules out conductivity you are aiming at.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links