April 24, 2024, 05:01:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: flutamide solubility question  (Read 4437 times)

Offline manakawari

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
flutamide solubility question
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:55:46 PM »
hopefully you guys can help....i am attempting to make an anti androgen topical for hair loss... i have flutamide pills and i was attempting to mix a 1 percent solution. each pills is 250 mgs..anyway, i know the math to get the 1 percent solution but i need to dissolve these in something and i see that flutamide is soluble is ethy alcohol but i do not have pure ethynal, i do have 100 proof gin...will this work or do i need 100 percent alcohol, i also have 90 percent isoprophy alcohol but i cant find anywhere if flutamide is soluable in rubbing alcohol..is there a way to find out or can you look at the chemical and give an educated guess? thanks

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
Re: flutamide solubility question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:59:28 AM »
Before you read on I just wanted to caution you; if the pills are not intended for topical or transderaml purposes you really should consider speaking with a medical professional first. They could contain other inactive (or other active) ingredients which are harmful if absorbed through the skin or skip being processed by the GI tract.

With that said here the info I found so far;
  • "This product is soluble in ethanol (50 mg/ml), with heat  as needed, yielding a clear to hazy, yellow to yellowgreen solution. It is also soluble in acetone, ethyl acetate, methanol, chloroform, and ether." (source, Sigma-Aldrich)
  • Solubility: Soluble in DMSO and ethanol (source)
  • "Water Solubility: Value : 9.45 mg/L" (source)
  • The Merck Index (13th ed.) didn't shed light on solubility and nor did the original paper for it's synthesis.

If water fails then ethanol and DMSO seem like the only other safe options. Avoid the other solvents listed as they can be harmful alone.
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline manakawari

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:23:28 AM »
yea thanks for the warning, im aware of several studies regarding topical flutamide and considering the small doses when compared to oral, im confident its safe.

i dont have access to pure ethanol and  because im using pills, i cant be sure if the flutamide is dissolving in the isopropyl alcohol because binders are left behind.. since i cant find any info regarding if flutamide is soluble in rubbing alcohol and it only mentions ethanol , do you think gin or vodka would work? i have both in my house and i was going to water it down to 50 percent anyway after i disolved the flutamide but i wasnt sure if having the 50 percent water in there before i attempted to dissolve them would hinder solubility, any idea?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 05:12:51 AM »
Doesn't look to me like something you should be doing on your own.

Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links