April 28, 2024, 06:50:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how does one accelerate ice making?  (Read 8295 times)

jumpinjackoo

how does one accelerate ice making?
« on: December 05, 2005, 07:49:53 PM »
how does one accelerate ice making using only conventional equipment like a freezer? can one add additives or non-toxic chemicals to accelerate the icing of water?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re:how does one accelerate ice making?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 05:49:35 AM »
In all of the cases I have observed adding something to water lowers the melting point. This would make it harder to freeze.  

Chrataxe

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 07:31:35 AM »
Yeah, to my knowledge, adding anything would depress the freezing point.  I think you could do something with pressure...though I don't know if you would have to raise or lower it...and how you would do it.  Off the top of my head, I would say raising the pressure would cause it freeze faster...but, its 6:30 in the morning and I'm am fueled my nicotene and no sleep.... ???

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 08:00:54 AM »
What would happen when you returned it to normal room pressure?

Chrataxe

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 09:22:29 AM »
I really don't know...don't even know if it would work.  But, in the assumption it would, when going back to normal pressure, I would think it would do quite a bit of sublimation.

Chrataxe

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 09:29:56 AM »
Upon second thought, I'm pretty sure increasing the pressure would work.  Pressure is inversly proportional to volume.  So, if you increase the pressure, you would decrease the volume.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 10:24:21 AM »
Increasing the pressure lowers melting point, so basically it is of no use - unless you will do a trick :)

To make ice you have to take some heat from the water. Heat transfer through ice is a slow process, that's why all ice producing units make only in fact a thin layer of ice. But if you increase the pressure water will be liquid even below freezing point, thus you can speed up the heat transfer through mixing. Then you change the pressure back to normal and the water is overcooled, so it freezes almost instantly.

The problem is, you will probably need to use high pressures - over 100 atm to lower freezing point by 1 deg C IIRC.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Chrataxe

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 08:48:23 PM »
Hey Borek, after reading your reply, I have been thinking about it a lot...and I am just curious as to how that works.  My original thinking was increasing pressure would decrease volume...but H20 has a lower volume as a liquid...not a solid.  So, I do see some error in my way...but just curious how the whole process works.

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
Re: how does one accelerate ice making?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 07:30:02 PM »
we did an experiment in my chemistry class that might interest you:

we took a glass bottle of club soda and submerged it in very cold water for a few minutes. The water was made by using a salt to lower the freezing point and the adding a little bit of dry ice. After a few minutes had passed and the club soda had enough time to get cold, we removed the bottle and removed the lid. Carbon dioxide was then released from the soda and the water froze almost instantly.

I'm not sure if this helps you but maybe it could give you some ideas on how to use freezing point depression.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
Re: how does one accelerate ice making?
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 11:51:32 PM »
we still had to super cool the club soda so it could freeze that quickly. it also melted in minutes. i don't think there is any way to speed up ice making because liquid water will remain at freezing temperature until the enitre solution is frozen so super cooling isn't an option for quicker ice making
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Sponsored Links