April 20, 2024, 02:00:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: water aspirator pump performance in rotary evaporations  (Read 6651 times)

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
water aspirator pump performance in rotary evaporations
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »
Is there a trick to improving water aspirator pump performance?  The best I have done recently in removing solvents such as water, toluene, and pyridine is a bath temperature of about 50-65 °C, which seems high.   I try to monitor the temperature of the water in the pump, and there is a slow flush of this water with tap water.  I also have a second water aspirator pump from a different manufacturer, but the last time I checked, its performance was worse than the first pump.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: water aspirator pump performance in rotary evaporations
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
Is there a trick to improving water aspirator pump performance?  The best I have done recently in removing solvents such as water, toluene, and pyridine is a bath temperature of about 50-65 °C, which seems high.   I try to monitor the temperature of the water in the pump, and there is a slow flush of this water with tap water.  I also have a second water aspirator pump from a different manufacturer, but the last time I checked, its performance was worse than the first pump.

Well I would give it a clean out, perhaps the thing is gummed up! Change all the rubber tubing, check the seals on the rotavap. etc.
And I would use a vacuum regulator and run the aspirator with the tap turned on full.

Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »
We just replaced the seal and the hoses last month, but I have not checked for clogs yet.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:09:20 PM »
We just replaced the seal and the hoses last month, but I have not checked for clogs yet.

If that doesn't work attach a membrane pump to the rotavap.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »
I don't know whether this is poor performance or not. I always had a vacuum gauge on my rotovap. The other side of this is expectations. You could calculate the amount of heat required to evaporate your solvents. If you want to evaporate it faster, use a higher bath temperature to overcome the low heat transfer of glass. The bath temperature is not the vapor temperature either. Just drop the bath, wait a few seconds, and feel the flask, is it hot? I'm guessing it is not.

In doing any distillation, I found the bath temperature was often around 15-20°C above the boiling point, depending on the boiling point.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Wastrel

• Mole Snacks: +5/-4
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »
Aspirators vary, some are better for volume some for ultimate pressure.  Water pressure in our labs, and hence ultimate vacuum, used to vary according to how much was being used at any one time.  We didn't have non return valves and I'd have liked the safety net, do they reduce ultimate pressure?

Something I didn't get to try with a rotavap, but works well with regular vacuum distillation, pump down, seal off and cool the receiving flask.

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »
Have you thought about making your own aspirator pump?  With this you can control the temperature of the water and you do not waste water down the drain; you reuse it in a cyclic fashion.  If interested, I can elaborate. 
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline milo2112

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 06:54:31 AM »
I have found the cheap ones from VWR or Fischer are the best. I think they come in packs of 20. It is important, especially for metal aspirators to clean them out once in a while. Also, using cold water tend to get you better vacuum. As far as bath temperatures goes, I routinely use a bath of 80C. Water, glycol, pyridine, NMP etc all come off at that temp and aspirator pressures (although the NMP tends to take a while). As long as you are using DI water (i.e. no salts), there is no reason your bath cannot be at close to boiling.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »
Have you thought about making your own aspirator pump?  With this you can control the temperature of the water and you do not waste water down the drain; you reuse it in a cyclic fashion.  If interested, I can elaborate. 
This sounds interesting.  We circulate our cooling water for similar reasons.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »
As far as bath temperatures goes, I routinely use a bath of 80C. Water, glycol, pyridine, NMP etc all come off at that temp and aspirator pressures (although the NMP tends to take a while). As long as you are using DI water (i.e. no salts), there is no reason your bath cannot be at close to boiling.
I have a BOC group on the product of interest, and I am a little bit worried about decomposition at higher temperatures.

Sponsored Links