March 28, 2024, 02:24:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry schools  (Read 10297 times)

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
Chemistry schools
« on: November 25, 2005, 02:45:51 PM »
Hello everybody!

I'm just curious to know: are there any chemistry high schools in your area? I mean a school where you have laboratory as a subject and other chemistry subjects as well (to compare: I have  19 hours of chemistry per week (8 hours of analytical lab, 3 hours of general chemistry, 3 analytical chemistry and 5 hours of organic chemistry). This is just because I've been looking for such a school abroad but I didn't find one, so if anybody of you guys knows one I'll be glad if you'll give me an email adress or the adress of the school'l homepage.

Thanks!  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 03:44:14 PM by Alberto_Kravina »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Chemistry schools
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 03:39:10 PM »
all pre-university schools in singapore are well equipped for the syllabus required various science subjects - chemistry, biology and physics.

when I was studying A level chemistry in Singapore, I had 2h of chemistry lab per week, on top of my other science subjects (biology and physics). it adds up to 6h of lab per week, on top of all lectures and tutorials.

18h of lab for a pre-university science course sounds wierd. you don't need so much chemistry to prepare for university studies.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 03:40:29 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 04:07:33 PM »
A high school that only tought chemistry would be a poor high school.  :-\
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 02:34:25 AM »
pre-university education should be as broad as possible.

expose the students to various subjects and fields.

the students will have 50-70 more years to live when they graduate. they should be exposed to as many ideas as possible, so that they can make an informed choice of what they want to make out their life to be.

the concept of chemistry high school is just too early. however, schools can conduct high-achiever program for students with good grades and interest. Additional lab or chemistry lectures can be arranged for the participants.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links