March 28, 2024, 12:46:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidation  (Read 5144 times)

xitenshiix

Oxidation
« on: December 06, 2005, 03:28:45 PM »
So when iron undergoes oxidation and forms iron oxide is there a mass change? If so is it decreasing and or increasing and why?

- I think it when iron undergoes oxidation and forms iron oixde it is heavier because essencially your adding oxygen to the iron. But I dont think that's the correct answer and there isnt enough context for it to recieve full credit.

So if anyone could explain this then that'd be great  ;D

RyanJones

Re:Oxidation
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 04:22:46 PM »
- I think it when iron undergoes oxidation and forms iron oixde it is heavier because essencially your adding oxygen to the iron. But I dont think that's the correct answer and there isnt enough context for it to recieve full credit.

So if anyone could explain this then that'd be great  ;D

You are correct, the mass is greater bue to the addition of oxygen though I fail to see what this has too do with Oxidation :S

Its mass is greater because you not only have 2 Iron's in there but also three Oxygen's so..
Mr(2Fe) = 111.690
Mr(Fe2O3) = 159.688

See you can see your self its bigger :-)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 04:27:34 PM »
That's correct.

You may add information about different iron oxides. You may also add information about the mass deficit due to E=mc2, although unfortunately most teachers have no idea that it is true and you may end fighting instead of getting credits.

Edit: seems Ryan was slightly faster :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 04:29:21 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

RyanJones

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 04:31:00 PM »
That's correct.

You may add information about different iron oxides. You may also add information about the mass deficit due to E=mc2, although unfortunately most teachers have no idea that it is true and you may end fighting instead of getting credits.

Good point although physics is not always a chemistry teachers best friend as you have said.

I'm not shure what else you could add too it to show the answrers though - did yo use numbers? Numbers are always good to add to an answer as confirmations or proofs :-)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

xitenshiix

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 04:58:55 PM »
Thank you so much ^^ yea im not sure if i want to end up fighting with a teacher as scary as mine .  :-X I just want to confirm if my answer was right and some more elaboration on it. (I love this site!)

ALSO if someone could explain this:

We had to do a lab where we took Steel wool and added vinigar to it. Stuffed it in a flask and sealed it with a balloon. Then we waited to see what happened.

Observation: The balloon slowly started to be sucked into the flask (i know the reason with air pressure and all) Mist started to form around the glass I dont know the reasont for this to occur. I thought it might be because there is a reaction taking place but that gives me no idea as to why it mists. So if someone coul answer this also.... that'd help me a lot

But thank you RyanJones and Borek!!  :Peace:

RyanJones

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 07:41:44 PM »
Thank you so much ^^ yea im not sure if i want to end up fighting with a teacher as scary as mine .  :-X I just want to confirm if my answer was right and some more elaboration on it. (I love this site!)

ALSO if someone could explain this:

We had to do a lab where we took Steel wool and added vinigar to it. Stuffed it in a flask and sealed it with a balloon. Then we waited to see what happened.

Observation: The balloon slowly started to be sucked into the flask (i know the reason with air pressure and all) Mist started to form around the glass I dont know the reasont for this to occur. I thought it might be because there is a reaction taking place but that gives me no idea as to why it mists. So if someone coul answer this also.... that'd help me a lot

But thank you RyanJones and Borek!!  :Peace:

The mist is a product of the reaction (Water?) it forms because it condenses on contact with the glass :-)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Sponsored Links