April 18, 2024, 06:01:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NBS workup  (Read 19848 times)

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
NBS workup
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »
I am making vinyloxirane (3,4-Epoxy-1-butene), by way of a bromohydrin produced from butadiene.  My query lies during the first steps workup. The succinimide by product is soluble in the organic layer and after removing solvent, it calls for a distillation.  The yield is affected though by the succinimide being present during the distillation of the bromohydrin.  Could this succinimide be removed with 1 N HCl wash?  I am told though that the bromohydrin is not miscible with water, but appreciably soluble.  Seems like either way I am going to lose material. 

Thank you in advance : )
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: NBS workup
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »
I am making vinyloxirane (3,4-Epoxy-1-butene), by way of a bromohydrin produced from butadiene.  My query lies during the first steps workup. The succinimide by product is soluble in the organic layer and after removing solvent, it calls for a distillation.  The yield is affected though by the succinimide being present during the distillation of the bromohydrin.  Could this succinimide be removed with 1 N HCl wash?  I am told though that the bromohydrin is not miscible with water, but appreciably soluble.  Seems like either way I am going to lose material. 

Thank you in advance : )

Succinamide is not soluble in CCl4. So dissolve , or suspend your reaction mixture in CCl4, cool, filter and wash with cold CCl4. Repeat if necessary. (measuring the dry weight of succinamide will give you an indication of your yield and how good the purification has been.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline AlphaScent

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:51:51 AM »
^^ Hey disco thanks a lot.  The only problem is that I do not have access to carbon tet, nor do I have chloroform.  I could have the company order one of them.  Would DCM work?  Dissolve the crude material in DCM and let the succinimide crash out?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
^^ Hey disco thanks a lot.  The only problem is that I do not have access to carbon tet, nor do I have chloroform.  I could have the company order one of them.  Would DCM work?  Dissolve the crude material in DCM and let the succinimide crash out?

No it should be CCl4. This, in my time, was a standard work-up for NBS brominations to remove the succinamide.
My Research History

Offline AlphaScent

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
Yeah I figured as much.  I will ask my boss if we can get some CCl4.  Thank you for your insight.  Very much appreciated sir.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:26:03 PM »
Yeah I figured as much.  I will ask my boss if we can get some CCl4.  Thank you for your insight.  Very much appreciated sir.

My pleasure.
My Research History

Offline AlphaScent

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:30:42 PM »
Was CCl4 295 bucks a liter from sigma aldrich in your time??  If it was cheaper, maybe it would justify getting it.  Im just going to have to be diligent with my distillation and not be cavalier at all about it.  Thanks again disco!

Offline nox

• Mole Snacks: +11/-3
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »
Succinimide has a pKa of around 9.6, basically as acidic as phenol. If your stuff isn't terribly water soluble or sensitive to base, I would just wash it out with 1M NaOH.

Edit: Just re-read your original post, seems like aqueous solubility might be an issue. In that case, you could try back extracting the aqueous NaOH layer after washing out the succinimide with EtOAc or DCM. The succinimide anion should behave and stay in the aqueous layer without getting pulled into the organic extracts.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
Was CCl4 295 bucks a liter from sigma aldrich in your time??  If it was cheaper, maybe it would justify getting it.  Im just going to have to be diligent with my distillation and not be cavalier at all about it.  Thanks again disco!

Nope it was cheap, but $295/Liter is not too bad. There are more expensive things, like your time!
My Research History

Offline AlphaScent

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 12:53:33 PM »
Nox,
    That seems like a great idea.  I knew about the Pka, but my problem is that the next step to get the vinyloxirane is to use NaOH as the base and then kicks out the bromine.  But as I thought about it, the reaction is done at about 120 °C.  So the washing with 1 N NaOH and then back extracting could work.  Thank you very much for the insight.

Disco,

You are 100% correct, my time is more valuable.  I can recover the CCl4 aswell for future reactions.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »
I think you will find the succinimide will become hydrolyzed to the carboxylate amide. If your product is sufficiently organic soluble, and I expect it would be, then you can simply extract it. By the way, does the bromination give the 1-bromo-but-3-en-2-ol? I might have expected the 4-bromo-but-2-en-1-ol. I believe bromination goes 1,4.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline AlphaScent

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »
Orgo Pete,

It goes through a bromonium ion, with water attacking the 2 position.  It is 1-bromo-3-butene-2-ol.  That is by my procedure, there may be some competitiveness though.  You think washing with 1 N NaOH will open up the succinimide huh..that is something to consider for sure.  Thanks for your response!!

Offline AlphaScent

Offline nox

• Mole Snacks: +11/-3
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
I doubt that succinimide will ring open with NaOH -- in fact you can react the anion with Br2 to make NBS, which precipitates from solution and can be filtered off.

Offline AlphaScent

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 02:15:55 PM »
I am doing production for a small company.  Using bromine may work, but how clean does that NBS come back?  Easily reusable?

Sponsored Links