April 19, 2024, 07:31:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Vibrational Frequency of Molecules  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Cirby

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Vibrational Frequency of Molecules
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:50:54 AM »
Hello all,

I'm researching Luca Turin's vibrational frequency of olfaction (from a philosophers standpoint)and was wondering If there were any further information on the topic. Have there been any studies, data, or tables published on the vibration of molecules? Do I need any special equiptment to explore the theory myself?

-Thanks  ;)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Vibrational Frequency of Molecules
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 07:14:59 AM »
I would start with the journal articles by the author that have been published to look for the methodology.  This topic is very close to pseudoscience -- although this may be the farthest out there scientific theory that is still being debated civilly by both sides.  Interesting topic however.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Cirby

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »
Ok thanks I will continually do so.. Except are there any books or websites that already have the vibrational frequency of chemicals? Surely there has to be some data of some kind

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
It really depends on the sense you mean vibrational frequency -- but generally, most college level organic chemistry textbooks do mention the different NMR and FTIR characteristics of different isotopes, especially hydrogen vs deuterium.  Of course, replacing a hydrogen with a deuterium can change the chemistry significantly, so I'm not sure the experiments I found on Wikipedia are really all that meaningful.  But still, a good start.

Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links