March 28, 2024, 10:40:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why do smaller ions tend to be more strongly hydrated?  (Read 9573 times)

Offline tdod

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Why do smaller ions tend to be more strongly hydrated?
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »
Why do smaller ions tend to be more strongly hydrated? For instance, why is Mg2+ expected to be more strongly hydrated than Be2+?

I looked in my textbook, but their explanation isn't helpful making sense to me:
The smaller ions presumably are able to bind the hydrating water molecules more firmly and thus show a more negative value for ∆S˚solution

But if this is true, then wouldn't smaller ions have weaker hydration, since they don't negative ∆S leads to positive ∆G ???

Thanks!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Why do smaller ions tend to be more strongly hydrated?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 05:38:50 AM »
Think about how ionic radius affects ΔH, I think this is the dominant effect.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline XGen

• Mole Snacks: +9/-4
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
I believe it has something to do with how much attraction a smaller ion can exert compared to a larger ion.

Offline mugabo daniel

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »
also try to look at the diagonal relationships of magnesium and lithium.
i also think that due to a small ionic radius there exists a strong attraction of the lone pairs of electrons of the water molecules by the nucleus of the ion.
try to think about this and correct me too.

Offline manonemission

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:06:23 AM »
Could it be related to the way that more distant electrons in larger atoms require less energy to excite them to a higher level and thus form 'conduction bands?' 

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:39:14 AM »
Could it be related to the way that more distant electrons in larger atoms require less energy to excite them to a higher level and thus form 'conduction bands?' 

Er... No, I think it's much easier than that.
Just think about two spheres with different radii and the same charge on them, you will easily find out that the smaller one has the largest electric field on its surface. As we can roughly consider dominant the electrostatic interactions in the hydration process the charge/radius ratio (which is in fact the E field, if we neglect some constants) is directly linked to the strength of these forces...
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Sponsored Links