June 17, 2024, 03:32:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Molecular orbitals  (Read 6538 times)

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
Molecular orbitals
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »
The MO theory always confuses me. Got 2  questions this time:

1)The electron arrangement in, for example, a N2 molecule should look like this:
1s2 1*s2 2s2 2*s2 2p6
There are the bonding and anti-bonding orbitals filled, but where are the non-bonding orbitals? When are those filled?

2)When looking at the lewis structure of O2 on google images, all the electrons are paired according that O2 is diamagnetic, but when filling the MOs it is paramagnetic instead: 1s2 1*s2 2s2 2*s2 2p6 2*p2(these are unpaired)
I assume that MO theory is more accurate, then why are the non-bonding electrons in O2 structure written as pairs then?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Molecular orbitals
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:58:26 AM »
AWK

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:20:46 PM »
There is nothing about non-bonding orbitals.

Offline XGen

• Mole Snacks: +9/-4
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 07:39:14 PM »
I believe that for oxygen, the order of the 2nd shell orbital energy levels is:

2σ 2π 2σ* 2π*.

You have it listed as 2σ 2σ* 2π 2π*.

Offline Sophia7X

• Mole Snacks: +32/-4
  • I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:12:53 PM »
The MO theory always confuses me. Got 2  questions this time:

1)The electron arrangement in, for example, a N2 molecule should look like this:
1s2 1*s2 2s2 2*s2 2p6
There are the bonding and anti-bonding orbitals filled, but where are the non-bonding orbitals? When are those filled?

Non-bonding orbitals don't combine. MO diagrams explain bonding and show atomic orbitals combining to make molecular orbitals.

2)When looking at the lewis structure of O2 on google images, all the electrons are paired according that O2 is diamagnetic, but when filling the MOs it is paramagnetic instead: 1s2 1*s2 2s2 2*s2 2p6 2*p2(these are unpaired)
I assume that MO theory is more accurate, then why are the non-bonding electrons in O2 structure written as pairs then?

About 90% of the time, Lewis structure is a quick and easy way to accurately predict the structure of something. We have MO theory for that 10%  :). MO theory is more accurate and according to molecular oxygen's MO diagram, it can actually be a biradical.
Entropy happens.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 04:16:45 AM »
XGen I used a different easier, but not accurate way. I will switch to the real one.

Sophia, I didn't understand the diagram. Where does the 3σ come from? Why are the π orbitals non-bonding here and in O2 they are bonding?

As I see from the link AWK gave, it is always started from σ2s orbitals, are the σ1s non-bonding here?

Offline Sophia7X

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 01:12:30 AM »
That pic might be a little confusing, I got that pic off a British site. XD 3σ might be another way to say σ*sp. Also, don't take my explanation too seriously because my knowledge of MO theory is rather limited. If someone sees something wrong, don't hesitate to correct it. :)
Here might be a better pic:

From this pic, you can see 6 non bonding electrons.

Let's first talk about the definition of a non-bonding orbital. They have the same energy as the atomic orbital they were derived from. They're below anti-bonding orbitals in energy, and above bonding orbitals.
Non-bonding orbitals result when atomic orbitals cannot overlap because of dissimilar orientation.

The H-F sigma bond is formed from an electron from H1s and an electron from F2pz. Now the left over 2px and 2py can't overlap with H orbitals. A sigma bond results when you have head-to-head overlap (on the internuclear axis, which is usually defined as the z axis). The remaining p orbitals are on the x and y axis  so they don't have the proper spatial orientation to overlap with H1s. 2s is also left over so you have 2 nonbonding fluorine 2p orbitals and 1 nonbonding 2s orbital. You can probably imagine that these 3 non-bonding orbitals keep the characteristics of the fluorine atomic orbital
Entropy happens.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:15:38 AM »
I understood better now, but I don't see on the picture the 1s electrons of fluorine, shouldn't they be non-bonding, too?

Offline Sophia7X

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »
Yep. This picture only shows valence electrons so you don't see F1s.
Entropy happens.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »
Okay, thanks for helping me.

Sponsored Links