April 25, 2024, 09:10:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A little uneasy about this  (Read 3198 times)

Offline kevinkevin

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
A little uneasy about this
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
  I just got back from Hawaii and I am hoping that this quick observation was somehow not correct, possible due to to an incorrect clock because of the time change or possibly just tiredness. I saw the moon one night and then when I saw the moon the next night it was closer to setting at an earlier time than before.  I thought that the moon sets "later" with each passing night but I just observed it setting "earlier" the next night.  Was this just a quick careless mistake considering it was just on a side note I observed it or is there a gross misunderstanding in my knowledge of moon motion.       

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: A little uneasy about this
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 05:41:43 PM »
I guess as long as you have no solid data (ie notes with exact position and hour) you don't have much to worry about. As far as I can tell every night Moon looks "late" when compared to its position the night before. I had this refreshed in the last weeks as I had plenty of time and nothing better to do than observe the Moon while walking back to the camping place  ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links