April 28, 2024, 07:06:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nicotine Preperation  (Read 5607 times)

leo336

Nicotine Preperation
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:52:38 PM »
Hi

I need some help, i know that nicotine can be used as an insecticide therefore would be interested in trying to prepare it. How would you go about doing that? All i found out is that you can boil it in water and get the traces of it. I do know its fairly toxic so would need to wear gloves for it. So basicly what i need to know is if this is the right way to create it and if i need anything other than gloves to protect myself from its toxic effects.

Appreciate any help

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Nicotine Preperation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 09:37:37 PM »
For one thing, What are you boiling? ??? The tobacco leaves.

Have you considered using caffeine. Caffeine will probably be easier though because they sell it in nice little pills.

The main worry with nicotine is that it'll pass through your skin. You wouldn't want your skin have the chance to soak up a lethal dose.

If you would like to read some more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 09:39:33 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 10:07:14 PM »
I've heard (although I don't know for sure) that extracting nicotine is extremely dangerous.  It is very poisonous and you can easily kill yourself.  Beware.

leo336

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 10:45:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies,

I've heard of people who prepare it at home to either get rid of the nicotine or use it as an insecticide but dont know what they do exactly. I heard they get it out of the contents of either cigarettes or any quit smoke products. I know its very dangerous and heard that latex gloves would be the most suitable thing to stop it from reaching the skin but it can be done. Thats why i would like to know exactly what needs to be done before trying it out because of the risks.

Thanks again

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 11:40:56 PM »
Nicotine is too dangerous a material to discuss its extraction here. Topic Closed
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links