April 28, 2024, 07:15:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: uses of structural elucidation of bacterial lipo poly saccaride?  (Read 3514 times)

Offline loginprakash

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
what is the use of structural elucidation of a bacterial Lipo poly saccharide? Even after it is elucidated, people are trying to prepare it; to find out the optimum synthetic pathway to prepare it. What would be their motive, are they going to use similar struture in their drug molecule so that the bacteria acceps the drug better?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
Re: uses of structural elucidation of bacterial lipo poly saccaride?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:02:06 AM »
This is a very open-ended question.  One answer is that it is a good basic science question, the same way any structural elucidation would be.  I am not an expert in immunochemistry, but my recollection is that the LPS is an antigen in some important instances.  I don't know whether or not finding the structure would help in any way, however.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: uses of structural elucidation of bacterial lipo poly saccaride?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:10:55 AM »
Also, this bit here:

are they going to use similar struture in their drug molecule so that the bacteria acceps the drug better?

is a little bit backward.  Mimicking a cell structure wouldn't necessarily help a drug product.  But using the structure to engineer better binding sites on a drug would work.  But that's, in some ways, looking to make a very different structure for binding -- almost the "chemical reciprocal" to summarize it so far it becomes ridiculous.  If you understand the "lock and key" hypothesis of enzyme and substrate function, you'd realize you've described "lock and lock" or "key and key" which won't work at all.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links