March 28, 2024, 09:28:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cheep Battery from Sodium  (Read 6944 times)

Offline JustMe

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cheep Battery from Sodium
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:18:43 AM »
Hi,
I want to make a sheep and large battery that uses "Sodium" as Anode , I want to large to use it on electric car, and I want its Cathode to be sheep and available

Thanks a lot
:)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Cheep Battery from Sodium
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:42:30 AM »
Hi,
I want to make a sheep and large battery that uses "Sodium" as Anode , I want to large to use it on electric car, and I want its Cathode to be sheep and available

Thanks a lot
:)
Good luck, you will need it.

I suggest you start learning about general chemistry, and possibly spelling.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline JustMe

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 06:31:23 AM »
Is there any body here that understand what I want? Sorry for my English because it's not my native language

Thanks a lot

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 06:37:57 AM »
We do understand what you mean, but the level of generality of your question suggests you have just a vague idea about what you want to achieve. That's why I suggested you started learning the basics.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 07:19:50 AM »
Hi,
I want to make a sheep

I could make a stupid joke here, but you got it correct above, so I know you want something "cheap."  Still 'tho, its fair for us to ask you to write more carefully, you did look up how to make your text bigger and bolder, so you could have been more careful.

and large battery that uses

Why do you want it big?  That adds weight, that may make it less efficient for the application.

"Sodium" as

Most of the batteries I've heard of work with water in the electrolyte.  The simplest reference would tell you that sodium reacts violently with water.  You won't get a battery out of it.

Anode , I want to large to use it on electric car, and I want its Cathode to be sheep and available

There's nothing cheap about sodium metal, its very energy intensive to make.  Such a battery wouldn't be easy to recharge, even if it was chemically possible.

Thanks a lot[/size] :)

You're welcome.  It is reasonable for members of this forum to ask you to do some work, up to and including beginning to make sense.  We don't dump answers on this forum, we like to help people to help themselves.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:46:21 PM »
Elemental (metal) Sodium is very aggressive and reactive chemical. This is why it is not used in batteries. This is not a problem to get electricity from sodium.   The problem is to keep sodium away from air, water, alcohols, chlorinated solvents, metals, wood, polymers, rubber and 99% of all other most common materials, because sodium  reacts with all of them and often with explosion.    :'(

Offline vex

• Mole Snacks: +13/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
Before we deride the OP, let's make sure we know what we're talking about.

Most rechargable ion exchange batteries, such as Li-ion, do NOT use aqueous electrolytes. The OP's idea of creating a sodium analogue to the popular Li-ion battery is not farfetched or ridiculous and deserves proper consideration.

However, there is already primary literature available on the subject. There are several metal oxide spinels known to reversibly intercalate sodium, but their performance is nowhere near the level required by industry, so they aren't paid much attention as of yet. My suggestion to the OP is to go to the library and look through relevant materials chemistry journals, such as J. Mater. Chem, Chem Materials, and Inorganic Chemistry for papers on the subject.
University of Michigan Ph. D. Pre-Candidate, Inorganic Chemistry

Do or do not. There is no "try."

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »
Most rechargable ion exchange batteries, such as Li-ion, do NOT use aqueous electrolytes. The OP's idea of creating a sodium analogue to the popular Li-ion battery is not farfetched or ridiculous and deserves proper consideration.
Thank you Vex.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 06:45:53 PM »
Read one week ago that sodium-based batteries are a research topic in a Japanese university.

The reasons being that lithium is allegedly expensive and scarce, while sodium could make cheap batteries of hopefully acceptable performance.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »
For cars alone we would have enough lithium, but if for instance we want to store electricity at the scale of the electric grid in batteries, in order to enable intermittent renewable energies, then the batteries would better use sodium. Makes sense - provided batteries are better than flywheels or underwater bags.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 03:01:09 AM »

I want its Cathode to be sheep and available

How will you get it to stay still? Would PETA protest?

Sponsored Links