April 19, 2024, 05:35:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: old red wine stain on pants  (Read 2746 times)

Offline datnewadd

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
old red wine stain on pants
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:50:34 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss this but I feel like I might get some help on this forum
Feel free to move it elsewhere

I have a red wine stain which is a few weeks old (about a month) on some white pants/trousers that I'm trying to remove.
I think I put some salt on it if I remember correctly but it is actually said on wikipedia that it would fix it more.
I've tried putting lemon juice (of half a lemon) with bicarbonate on it (following the advice on some website) but unfortunately I let it like that the whole night so now, after washing them at 40°C with some stain removal solvent, I have two problems:
  • the old red wine stain is still there
  • there are new huge stains of lemon juice which are a little bit yellow/orange/red; some of them went away after washing but some not; does this come from oxydation?

Does anyone have any idea on how I could proceed?

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: old red wine stain on pants
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 08:14:22 AM »
Iso-propyl alcohol?
Very Dil. Acetic Acid?
H2O2?

Though I don't guarantee this cocktail  wont take away a bit of your pants with it.. >:D

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »
What fabric are the pants made out of? That will both limit what sorts of chemicals you can use, and will give some information about the mechanism by which the stain is attached.

And have you tried any of the commercial stain removers yet? Do you have any particular reason for using salt, lemon juice, and sodium bicarbonate instead of something like http://www.wineaway.com/? Or even Resolve or Oxiclean?

Offline datnewadd

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:39:32 AM »
It is made of 97% cotton and 3% elastane

I've tried a commercial stain remover but it didn't help. Maybe I need to try another one

Sponsored Links