Specialty Chemistry Forums > Chemical Education and Careers

Guidance for someone completely new to chemistry

(1/2) > >>

altair:
Ok, so I am 14, in highschool and I am completely new, but very interested in learning chemistry. I always though I was intelligent and then I look at what is spoken of here and I find myself wanting a dictionary. So heres my issue. I want to learn some chemistry that goes beyond the almost none that I know.

What I need to know is where should I start? I have no clue where to go, but I'd rather be able to learn without reading TOO many books, because I need to focus that kind of energy on school. I am not taking a science class this year, for multiple reasons.

So I have to go, all replies are appreciated.

-altair

Bakegaku:
well it may help a lot to look around on the posts at this site.  The questions asked and, more importantly, the answers given.  There's also some articles and other resources at this site.  Also, if you search google or Wikipedia you can pretty much find anything you want.  

First just look at the different kinds of reactions and compounds, then look at how elements react and why (electron valencies), then things like reaction energies, equilibriums, electronegativity...   Once you get into it you'll find your way  ;)

Mitch:
Purchase this book from your local store or through this link. It has everything you need to know to begin learning Chemistry http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486656225/thechemicalfo-20/103-4864049-8946204?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

nakada:

--- Quote from: altair on December 11, 2005, 10:07:33 PM ---Ok, so I am 14, in highschool and I am completely new, but very interested in learning chemistry. I always though I was intelligent and then I look at what is spoken of here and I find myself wanting a dictionary. So heres my issue. I want to learn some chemistry that goes beyond the almost none that I know.

What I need to know is where should I start? I have no clue where to go, but I'd rather be able to learn without reading TOO many books, because I need to focus that kind of energy on school. I am not taking a science class this year, for multiple reasons.

So I have to go, all replies are appreciated.

-altair

--- End quote ---

OK, so if i understand correctly, you are 14, and you should be in 7th grade. Well, as i reember we started learning chemistry in 7th grade too. If you know that you are more intelligent than your classmates, you shuold not worry about staying behind the others. In fact if you are hooked for this subject, than you must show it to your teacher, and to do that it would be wise to ask about everything that interests you. Soon you will find out that you know more than your teacher, but only if you study every day. People often think that chemistry is simple, but in fact covers the widest area of science (as does the math). Now, if you are from America, you are in trouble. I am from europe, and in our class (highschool) there was this kid from Canada. We were 16 yo, and he knew nothing from chemistry, and we were studied chemistry for 2 years by then. Do not go and buy advanced chemistry books, or chem books from collages, or something like that. The smartest thing to do is to build your knowlage as you learn it in school, my advice is to start from the simplest books that you can find. Then as you study more and more, you would probably start to hate chem, because, belive me it is not as simple as you may think. Don`t worry, that is normal. Now, there are a lot of books on the market, and the worst thing would be to go and buy something like Fundaments of chemistry, or basic, applied, physical chem book. That are books mostly for quick refference, and you don`t need that. What you need is some book for beginers (for kids), with lots of simple experiments that you can do at home.
Enjoy!

P:
Get a copy of the periodic table.    Look at why Mendelev organised the elements into their groups and colombs.  Look at how many electrons each atom has and see why they form compounds to get full electron shells.   look at the difference between ionic and covailent bonds...
I recon these are the most important starting blocks.  Then go for electronegativities and see why some elements replace others in chemical reactions.  

I would say that you should definately take science at school if you get the chance. They teach you things in stages and help you with things you don't understand.

Best of luck  -  Enjoy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version