April 25, 2024, 08:10:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Potentiometry  (Read 6779 times)

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
Potentiometry
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »
In a galvanic cell I have two separate solutions, so the potential is calculated by subtracting the potentials of the solutions. In potentiometric titration I got one solution, so its potential is calculated by using only on process (ox. or red. depends what is in excess, when ox. is in excess I get a positive vault, when red. is in excess I get a negative vault). The equivalent point is obtained when both processes make the same potential (not when equal amounts of ions reacted). Now I am asking, what means the excess when the potential is calculated before the EP? It shouldn't be the excess in concentrations, right? If something I wrote is wrong, please correct it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Potentiometry
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »
The equivalent point is obtained when both processes make the same potential

No. Both processes MUST have the same potential always. You can't have two different potentials in a single solution.

http://www.titrations.info/potentiometric-titration-curve-calculation
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:26:46 AM »
I see that at the equivalence point they should be equal.
"Both processes MUST have the same potential always. You can't have two different potentials in a single solution."
For instance, if I start titrating Fe3+ with Ti3+ and I add just a drop of the titanium solution (Fe is in excess) then the potentials can't be equal for both processes. It should be much lower for the titanium oxidation.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »
For instance, if I start titrating Fe3+ with Ti3+ and I add just a drop of the titanium solution (Fe is in excess) then the potentials can't be equal for both processes. It should be much lower for the titanium oxidation.

Then you don't understand what it is all about and what equilibrium means. Both potentials will be the same, no matter how many times you will repeat they can't. They have to. You can't have two different potentials in a single solution.

As if I have not already wrote it.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
I mean the potential before establishing the equilibrium (when I use Q in Nernst equation and not K). Those two potentials before the equilibrium can't be same because the standard electrode potentials for both substances aren't same, and their concentrations aren't same, so E1≠E2. I don't understand how can they be equal, when math show that they can't.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »
Substances react till potential for both half cells is the same. Starting potentials in separate solutions are different, but when you mix them, they can't be different any longer.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 12:39:06 PM »
But one half cell is a burette  ???.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 01:50:07 PM »
But one half cell is a burette  ???.

In potentiometric titration I got one solution

So, what is the question - about separate potentials of initial solutions, or about potential in the titrated solution after some of the titrant was added?

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »
"potential in the titrated solution after some of the titrant was added"
This. After only a drop of the titrant is added, by maths, the potentials of oxidation and reduction in the solution can't be same.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
"potential in the titrated solution after some of the titrant was added"
This. After only a drop of the titrant is added, by maths, the potentials of oxidation and reduction in the solution can't be same.

Then your math is wrong, they are the same.

Actually fact that the potentials are the same is what allows us to calculate concentrations, not the other way around.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
You are probably right, but I still don't understand so I will write the equation too see what is wrong, E1 is for Fe, E2 is for Ti:
E1=0.77-0.059log[Fe2+]/[Fe3+], let's say that 25% of iron was titrated and its initial concentration is 0.01 M, then:
E1=0.77-0.059log(25/75)=0.8V
Now for titanium (I think that one equivalent if the c=2.5*10-3M was needed for the 25% ):
E2=-0.13-0.059log[Ti4+]/[Ti3+]=-0.13-0.059log(x/2.5*10-3)
Now, you mean that the concentration x is an amount that when putted in must make that E1=E2? It can't be calculated through Keq because this is not an equilibrium?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »
It is an equilibrium. Otherwise you are right - you calculate E1 from known concentrations of Fe3+ and Fe2+, then you use this potential to calculate x (concentration of Ti4+). Actually you use this potential to calculate ratio of Ti4+/Ti3+ concentrations and you use known total amount of Ti to calculate [Ti4+], but that's just a technical detail (besides, before equivalence point you can usually safely assume [Ti4+] is close to zero and [Ti3+] is that of added titrant).

Which is exactly a procedure described on the page I linked to in my first post in the thread.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 04:32:49 AM »
Okay, thanks for explaining, I started to understand this.
Only the potential will be - when using Ti and + when using Fe, but the amount is same.

Sponsored Links