April 19, 2024, 07:31:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Are there any reflective electrodes?  (Read 2786 times)

Offline zach.zheng

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Are there any reflective electrodes?
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »
So I was thinking about a different kind of "photoelectrode" (clear electrodes).  For the paper that I was reading, the researchers were thinking of using TiO2+ZrO2 for a certain photoelectrode, to be used in a certain type of device (a DSSC), for the purpose of scattering light (photons), and conducting electrons.  The layer would reflect some of the light that the device gets from an outside source, in order to recycle some of the light received.

On the other hand, I was wondering if there are any potential materials that could act as a reflective photoelectrode, that is one that would reflect more light than a scattering photoelectrode, however still conducts electrons (a necessary property for most materials in a DSSC).  I realize that this is a very technical question and perhaps needs to be put into context, so please post any questions that you may have about photoelectrodes, DSSC, or whatever.

-Zach Zheng (8/26/2012)

Offline vex

• Mole Snacks: +13/-0
Re: Are there any reflective electrodes?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
I think that for the kind of setup you're thinking of creating, the first thing that comes to mind is metallic Cu. Of course, the problem is that this won't stand up to any oxidative potentials you might be applying. For a reflective oxidized compound... iron pyrite? FeS2?
University of Michigan Ph. D. Pre-Candidate, Inorganic Chemistry

Do or do not. There is no "try."

Sponsored Links