April 28, 2024, 07:56:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Leaving Physics for Chemistry?  (Read 4048 times)

Offline SUNNY_physics

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Leaving Physics for Chemistry?
« on: August 27, 2012, 06:53:29 PM »
I'm currently a MS student in applied physics and thinking strongly of switching to a MS in Chemistry (physical and/or analytical).

I have no plans to do a PhD in physics anymore. I thought I wanted to be a physicist going in, but I found that the questions that I was interested in, are not really the same questions physics are interested in.

The classes are another thing. Electricity and magnetism is a huge pain that I'm struggling through and just don't see a use for in my research. The only classes I'm really interested in for physics are quantum, stat mech and solid state, which is already in a chemistry degree.

I have 11 core classes for physics, there's only 5 core chemistry classes. Because of this, and getting a few classes delayed, I'm going to graduate a year late and its going to take me 3-4 years just for a masters... if I switched RIGHT NOW I can probably get a MS Chemistry in 2 years. However, I'm worried. My original plan was to go for a PHD in Physical Chemistry/Chemical Physics or Materials Science. I'm scared that I wouldn't be able to handle the PHD, and I've heard that a MS in Chemistry (does analytical count?) is not as employable as a MS in Physics if I chose do go into industry.

What is the demand for analytical chemists right now? Physical chemists? The research I'm looking at is in polymer semiconductors, how are analytical/physical chemists working in polymers doing? I've looked on careerbuilder and it seems that there's plenty of jobs in analysis and polymers, but I can never be sure whether they're real or not...

Offline vex

• Mole Snacks: +13/-0
Re: Leaving Physics for Chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 12:27:13 PM »
However, I'm worried. My original plan was to go for a PHD in Physical Chemistry/Chemical Physics or Materials Science. I'm scared that I wouldn't be able to handle the PHD, and I've heard that a MS in Chemistry (does analytical count?) is not as employable as a MS in Physics if I chose do go into industry.

Why do you say you wouldn't be able to handle the Ph. D.? Sure, it sounds like a huge deal going in, but my advice to you, if you're considering a field in chemistry, is to consider applying to a Ph. D. program. If you've done well in school ( > 3.0 GPA in chem/physics) and have some prior research experience as an undergraduate, and if you've got a good work ethic and an open mind, you should do well in a Ph. D. program. If, after a year or two, you decide it's not for you, I've never heard of a program that wouldn't let you leave early with your MS. If you haven't gotten any research experience, I would contact your advisor and maybe some of the chemistry faculty at your school to see how you can get involved in undergraduate research. Even if you're not 100% sure what you want to do with your life, undergraduate research was a seriously eye-opening experience for me. I learned a lot, got to travel a bit, and saw what chemistry is really like outside the classroom; with that knowledge in hand, I decided to pursue a Ph. D.

As far as your other question, I'm not so knowledgeable about that. I know that your career options with an MS won't be as broad nor as lucrative than they would with a Ph. D., but I don't know the specific industrial demand for analytical and polymer chemists. Many schools have staff that help with career placement; that might be a good place to start. If they don't know the job market, they'll be able to refer you to someone who can. The chemistry faculty at your school might have some insight into this as well, especially if you're at a bigger school with more ties to industry.

Good luck!
University of Michigan Ph. D. Pre-Candidate, Inorganic Chemistry

Do or do not. There is no "try."

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Leaving Physics for Chemistry?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »
Have you considered an MS in Materials Sci., Chemical Engineering or Applied Mech.?

Those might be worth a thought too.

Sponsored Links