April 18, 2024, 06:59:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Aspirin's mode of action  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Nescafe

• Mole Snacks: +7/-11
Aspirin's mode of action
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:30:18 PM »
Hi,

So form my understanding Aspirin has two biological effects. One is that it acetylates serine of cyclooxygenase which is an anti-inflammatory response. At this point the salicylic acid portion is released and this salicylic acid can act as a pain killer. What does it target?

Nescafe.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Aspirin's mode of action
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:33:44 AM »
There is a lot to talk about, this wikipedia article links to another, longer wikipedia article:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asprin#Mechanism_of_action  You really should start there, no one here is going to type that much in one forum posting, even if they know the whole story.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline mycotheologist

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Aspirin's mode of action
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:05:08 PM »
Its COX inhibitor properties are also responsible for its anticoagulent effects. The reason aspirin is a good anticoagulent while ibuprofen and paracetamol are not is because aspirin is an irreversible antagonist of COX while the other two are reversible antagonists. I'm wondering what the mechanism of its analgesic effects is myself too. According to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylic_acid#Mechanism_of_action
salicylic acid is also a COX inhibitor (must be a reversible one since its not an acetylating agent like aspirin) but it doesn't say anything about its analgesic effects. Since all of these NSAIDs are analgesics, I would have assumed its mediated by COX inhibition too.

Sponsored Links