April 19, 2024, 03:01:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stereocenters for decalin  (Read 2681 times)

Offline vverityv

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Stereocenters for decalin
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:04:08 AM »
I had an online homework problem to "use wedged bonds, draw the stereoisomer of decalin that is lowest in energy using information about the conformational energetics of substituated cyclohexanes..."

Basically, I drew decalin in a trans-chair conformation (the chairs are side by side sharing a bond with one H going up axial on one and one H going down on the opposite) and then I have wedges and dashes for all of the other hydrogens on the other carbons....

But when I submit the answer, the program tells me that it's wrong and to "please show the configuration at both stereocenters..." but didn't I already do that?? Am I suppose to draw the flat rings and put the wedges on those instead?

does anyone know what this means?? I know my answer isn't necessarily wrong, but I'm not really sure what it's telling me to do...

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Stereocenters for decalin
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:47 AM »
I had an online homework problem to "use wedged bonds, draw the stereoisomer of decalin that is lowest in energy using information about the conformational energetics of substituated cyclohexanes..."

Basically, I drew decalin in a trans-chair conformation (the chairs are side by side sharing a bond with one H going up axial on one and one H going down on the opposite) and then I have wedges and dashes for all of the other hydrogens on the other carbons....

But when I submit the answer, the program tells me that it's wrong and to "please draw both stereocenters..." or "please include both stereocenters..."

does anyone know what this means?? I know my answer isn't necessarily wrong, but I'm not really sure what it's telling me to do...

Draw the other comforter as well
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Stereocenters for decalin
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 02:56:40 AM »
Am I suppose to draw the flat rings and put the wedges on those instead?

Probably. This is the problem with online homework.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links