April 27, 2024, 01:12:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Endo rule for The Diels-Alder reaction  (Read 7152 times)

Offline nikienikie

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Endo rule for The Diels-Alder reaction
« on: August 31, 2012, 06:43:27 AM »
Hi all!

So The Diels-Alder reaction favors an Endo addition. And my book says, "the product in which the activating electron-withdrawing group of the dienophile is located in the endo position."

What is an "endo position"? Does it just mean the electron withdrawing group is facing the the diene? What if my dienophile is dimethyl fumarate? Since the two groups are on the opposite side of the alkene, one of them is exo and the other one is endo?

Thank you!!

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Endo rule for The Diels-Alder reaction
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:44:59 AM »

Offline james_a

• Mole Snacks: +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »
Hi all!

So The Diels-Alder reaction favors an Endo addition. And my book says, "the product in which the activating electron-withdrawing group of the dienophile is located in the endo position."

What is an "endo position"? Does it just mean the electron withdrawing group is facing the the diene? What if my dienophile is dimethyl fumarate? Since the two groups are on the opposite side of the alkene, one of them is exo and the other one is endo?

Thank you!!

With some dienophiles endo/exo is not possible.  With fumarate as dienophile you will see that it's not possible to form diastereomers; either way, you always obtain groups on opposite sites of the ring. Contrast that with maleate, which would give you endo and exo.

Offline PhDoc

• Mole Snacks: +22/-0
  • O-Chem Prof
    • PH.D. Organic Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
The Alder Endo Rule explains the stereochemical outcome of most (not all) Diels-Alder reactions. The endo preference has to do with secondary orbital overlap, and the resultant lowering of transition state energy.

The Diels-Alder Reaction, Part I
http://lennoxtutoring.com/2011/11/23/the-diels-alder-reaction-part-one/

I provide a model system to make determining the relative stereochemistry predictable without the use of silly rules. If you have interest in more advanced applications of the Diels-Alder, search my website for Part II.

Good luck!
O-Chem Prof

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »

I provide a model system to make determining the relative stereochemistry predictable without the use of silly rules.

???
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links