March 28, 2024, 04:37:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Zeta Potential  (Read 5065 times)

Offline vex

• Mole Snacks: +13/-0
Zeta Potential
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
The lab that I'm in is interested in electrophoretically depositing (EPD) thin films of metal oxides onto a certain conductive substrate. This involves creating a suspension of the metal oxide particles using some sort of charging agent, and usually sonication. The problem with EPD is that it's impossible to tell whether a prep will work without knowing the zeta potential of the suspension. Unfortunately, we're not equipped to make that measurement.

I'm looking at the Malvern Zetasizer Nano and I'm currently in the process of getting a quote for that device, but I think that it's going to be too expensive for our lab to purchase based on some reading that I've done elsewhere. I was wondering if there are any materials chemists here that have done zeta potential measurements, and if someone could point me in the direction of a somewhat cheap, effective device for measuring zeta potential.

Thanks!  8)
University of Michigan Ph. D. Pre-Candidate, Inorganic Chemistry

Do or do not. There is no "try."

Offline AnnSol

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Zeta Potential
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »
How did you go with finding your equipment? I've found these guys have most the gear I need.

They do have some zeta potential equipment.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:39:44 AM »
Alternative to measurement is brute force lots of experimental trial n error till it works!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:03:51 AM »
The Zetasizer is a great instrument. We have one in the lab and it works well. In fact pretty much anyone who does DLS measurements uses a Zetasizer it seems.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline ad0rian423

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »
Quantachrome also offers many instruments for material chemistry.

Here is information on DT-300 for zeta potential measurements. You can ask a quote and compare prices and performance information.

http://www.quantachrome.co.uk/en/Zeta_Potential_Nanoparticles-Dispersion_Technology_DT300.asp

Sponsored Links