April 16, 2024, 04:55:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A world of dangerous possibilities!  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Amitaabh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-11
A world of dangerous possibilities!
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:50:09 PM »
Here is an example of a negative type of thinking that I engage in which I believe is a result of a misunderstanding. I would greatly appreciate any help in clearing this destructive thought pattern.

I have many crystals. The other day I put a pearl on top of the ceramic filter of my pipe ( http://76.162.129.99/images/img2971.png ) and thought to my self, "there is no reason the pearl wont react with the filter (silicon carbide) and create a toxic compound which will enter the smoke stream when the ceramic is heated". Then I thought if I were to put all of my crystals in some piece of kitchenware there's no reason that one of them would not love to react with the kitchen ware, this seemed to be a good analogy in my mind for the various chemicals which come in contact with "food and drug" type items and the possibility of resulting reactions which may have toxic implications for humans.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: A world of dangerous possibilities!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 10:04:28 PM »
Do you think you could be troubled to put an actual question in these philosophical ramblings of yours?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Amitaabh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-11
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:43:10 PM »
I am asking you guys to follow my train of thought and correct my misunderstanding if it indeed exists. The way I am thinking causes anxiety because any distinct materials which come in contact which each other have the possibility of reacting and creating toxic substances and like I mentioned this is of particular concern when it comes to food and drug applications. I am looking for some chemical property which prevents this type of madness from occurring because I'm pretty sure the world would be much more toxic than it apparently is.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:24:49 AM »
Paracelsus said: "Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison".
All living organisms can neutralize minute amounts of toxins. In most cases this works well. But in some cases neutralization by living organisms produce more toxic substances, eg. DDT  :rarrow: DDD, which is more dangerous.
AWK

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
In any case, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger... ;D

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:44:46 AM »
I think it was mentioned a couple of times in this earlier thread of yours:  http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=59439.msg212657#msg212657  that if you insist on making up possible chemical reactions that have no basis in fact, and wondering if they produce a toxic effect, that its a waste of time to debate their toxicity.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »
I just read your earlier thread and here's an idea that comes to mind: In your SS-304 Cooking Utensil bring half a liter of water to a gentle simmer.  Then add to it a teaspoonful of every crystal you have in your collection (avoid the pink ones, those are a headache).  Add an aliquot of cooking salt and for good measure sprinkle in a handful or two of borax. ( Go for the more expensive variety if you can, it usually works better, in my experience)

Set this mixture to boil on the stove overnight and go to bed. It might be a little hard to sleep at first, but try; you'll manage it eventually.

Anyways, message us the next day and either way you'll have found a great solution to your toxicity woes.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
I am asking you guys to follow my train of thought and correct my misunderstanding if it indeed exists. The way I am thinking causes anxiety because any distinct materials which come in contact which each other have the possibility of reacting and creating toxic substances and like I mentioned this is of particular concern when it comes to food and drug applications. I am looking for some chemical property which prevents this type of madness from occurring because I'm pretty sure the world would be much more toxic than it apparently is.
Outside of chemistry I do some work with people who have fears that prevent them from living the lives they want. I have seen amazing changes in people.

The problem is you do not control what you feed your subconscious. Your subconscious is stupid and anything vividly imagined becomes real to it. 

For example, medical doctors, when undergoing their studies read about various diseases.  The initial period when they begin to do this they begin to match any symptoms they have had recently to whatever illness they are studying.  Many then go to their own doctors, sure they will have that disease.  The important thing, is that as you are thinking you have this disease, your subconscious reacts to it, producing physiological effects like tightness in the stomach for fear. 

Ever gone to the doctor scared you have X, and you are so sure of it you feel it in your stomach?  But after your doctor says you are fine, symptoms go away?  Same thing. You were simply feeding your subconscious worst case scenarios, and it took a new scenario (admittedly with the authority of a doctor) to remove it.

So the belief that you have here, is that common things will react and make something toxic to you.  Now belief changing is not easy.  You cannot simply say "I no longer have this belief", it needs to be replaced, in this case with the oposite, that they do not react.  As a belief is simply an assumption based on reference experiences, we need to replace the reference experiences (they do not even need to be real reference experiences, as anything vividly imagined is the same to your subconscious as the truth).  The belief is a table, and the reference experiences are legs.  Go through the following, preferably clearing your mind first with meditation, and then after another meditation visualizing the following.

Hundreds of thousands of gallons of water are filtered through silicon carbide leaving it fit for human consumption
Imagine the water flowing through, pure as a mountain stream and then being consumed by a healthy playful child.  Imagine the water flowing through the veins, nourishing the child allowing him to grow into a healthy, happy, productive adult, all after flowing through silicon carbide.

Imagine silicon carbide catalysts at thousands of degrees celcius, retaining their integrity as shittons of precursors flow through, the strong silicon carbide resisting it all.  like the hulk getting hit by a car, and the car getting damaged.  the hulk is the silicon carbide.

think of several more instances where silicon carbide does not react, and visualize them. for an extended period  of time.  notice how your emotional reaction towards your SiC pipe changes after this.

Repeat as necessary.  belief changes are not instantaneous, but as you gain new reference experiences, they do change.

Sponsored Links