April 28, 2024, 03:46:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Specific Heat and Smoke Point  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Amitaabh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-11
Specific Heat and Smoke Point
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »
A particular recipe asks to put a pound of butter in water, bring the water to a boil and let it simmer. Butter's smoke point is around 150 Celsius and water boils at 100 Celsius. The specific heat of water is 4.19 kJ/kg oC and the specific heat of butter is 1.26  kJ/kg oC. Since the specific heat of water is about 3 times that of butter wont the butter start to smoke by the time the water gets heated to 100 Celsius?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Specific Heat and Smoke Point
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:58:32 AM »
No.  For a very obvious reason, that has nothing to do with specific heat.  Can you figure it out for yourself?  Consider this:  If you were fractionally distilling a mixture of water and butter, what would happen?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Specific Heat and Smoke Point
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 03:06:26 AM »
A particular recipe asks to put a pound of butter in water, bring the water to a boil and let it simmer. Butter's smoke point is around 150 Celsius and water boils at 100 Celsius. The specific heat of water is 4.19 kJ/kg oC and the specific heat of butter is 1.26  kJ/kg oC. Since the specific heat of water is about 3 times that of butter wont the butter start to smoke by the time the water gets heated to 100 Celsius?
Butter needs energy to change its state also and it needs energy to get converted smoke.When you add all these then may be it falls above the amount of heat required to boil water.

Sponsored Links