April 19, 2024, 06:29:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: HOCl structure  (Read 14727 times)

Offline peacefulltortoise

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • I'm a mole!
HOCl structure
« on: December 28, 2005, 06:32:06 AM »
I see that HOCl has V-sharp and its structure is H - O - Cl, therefore we just care of O as centre atom. However some books show that this molecule is AX2E3 type (follow VSEPR) so Cl is centre atom and it has 2 bond pairs, 3 lone pairs. Could anyone tell me why?

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Re:HOCl structure
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 08:15:40 AM »
I remember in my early early days of drawing lewis structures that they always said, "Put the heaviest atom at the centre" - this works well for metallocentred molecules and even for simple p-block compounds like SF6.  But of course, that rules doesn't always apply, and can lead to poor point-group assignment.

Perhaps this is the problem?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 08:17:13 AM by lemonoman »

Offline peacefulltortoise

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 05:18:23 AM »
So at last which one is correct?

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 06:22:53 AM »
I had never seen lemonoman's structure, while I've always thought the former (looking at your post) to be the right one. So, that would be my answer, if ever asked.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 06:30:24 AM by Albert »

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 09:31:43 AM »
I have never seen lemonoman's structure either as H-O-Cl would give the proper number of bond to each species and wouldn't leave you with too many electrons on Cl and too few on O.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 02:18:11 AM »
so Cl is centre atom and it has 2 bond pairs, 3 lone pairs. Could anyone tell me why?
lemonman's structure is just a visual display of the peacefulltortoise's description.

The structure is wierd. After hydrogen has bonded with chlorine, why should chlorine even bond to oxygen?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links