April 29, 2024, 10:09:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How would one design a qualitative analysis experiment?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline izebob

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How would one design a qualitative analysis experiment?
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »
I'm trying to design a qualitative analysis experiment for my lab group. I could use a little help. I am trying to understand why things are done as well, so if you can please explain. Thank you in advance.

It is known that the cation(s) is(are) from the following: Ag+, Hg22+, Pb2+, Cu2+, Bi3+, As3+, Co2+, Ni2+, Fe3+, and Al3+; and the anions from SO42-, CO32-, PO43-, Cl-, and NO3-. Design an experiment to identify what is(are) present.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How would one design a qualitative analysis experiment?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »
These sorts of experiments are best planned as a tree.  There a specific chemical reactions that occur with some general groups of ions, and you'll end up working through the list flow-chart-like.  Your textbook may have something like that for you to work from.  If not, you have lots of work to do, however, you can get started using solubility rules.  Do you know those?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline izebob

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 10:32:22 PM »
These sorts of experiments are best planned as a tree.  There a specific chemical reactions that occur with some general groups of ions, and you'll end up working through the list flow-chart-like.  Your textbook may have something like that for you to work from.  If not, you have lots of work to do, however, you can get started using solubility rules.  Do you know those?

Unfortunately I have no textbook, my professor just gives us a sheet with just this. Yes, I have a basic understanding of the rules.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »
OK, give us some. Or better yet, use some of those rules to begin to separate the list of cations and anions into groups.  Note: I mean grouped by properties, not periodic table "groups."
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links